Best Gas Pressure Washer buying guide
Using a gas-powered pressure washer is possibly the best way to blast away dirt and grime from most exterior surfaces.
These aren’t to be taken lightly, gas-powered cleaners produce PSI ranges much higher than electric, so care must be taken, as it is very easy to strip paint off of a car with one of these gas powered power washers.
So let’s take a look at these amazing machines, hopefully, give you some buying advice, give you an idea of the best brands and also pinpoint the best model for your differing needs.
- 1 What to look for in a gas power washer, plus our list of things to be mindful of
- 2 Cleaning power calculation and Engine size
- 3 Start style – Electric or recoil starter
- 4 Water temperature
- 5 Carriage Frame Construction
- 6 Tire Toughness
- 7 Gasoline storage
- 8 How your pump is driven
- 9 A quick look at the best gas pressure washers
- 10 The best brands gas power cleaner/washer brands
- 11 Price, price, and quality
- 12 Warranty
- 13 SIMPSON GC190 OHV, AAA Triplex Pump MSH3125-S MegaShot 3200 PSI 2.5 GPM Gas Pressure Washer, Honda Review
- 14 excell EPW2123100 3100 PSI 2.8 GPM Cold Water 212CC Gas Powered Pressure Washer Review
- 15 Generac 6882 GPW 2900PSI Power Washer SPEEDW, 2900 PSI Review
- 16 WEN PW31 3100 PSI Gas Pressure Washer, 208 cc Review
- 17 Pressure Pro E4040HG Heavy Duty Professional 4,000 PSI 4.0 GPM Honda Gas Powered Pressure Washer With General Pump Review
- 18 Conclusion
I’ll also show you an amazing hot water professional power washer.
Be prepared, gas power washers are more expensive than their electric cousins, though they do offer these 3 main advantages, though these are not the only advantages.
- They are much more powerful
- They tend to be more durable
- If you are on a job site or in a remote area where no electrical outlets are available gas will be your only option
It’s for these reasons that gas-powered power equipment is and always has been the must-have for contractors and professionals.
That said, over the years electrical and battery enhancements have taken place and the gap between gas and electric pressure washers has closed significantly, you can now get a very solid residential-use gas washer for a price which is very close to the price of a top range medium-duty electric washer.
If you already own gas-powered equipment such as a chainsaw, gas lawn mower or any other gas-powered equipment, it would make sense to get a gas powered pressure washer.
What to look for in a gas power washer, plus our list of things to be mindful of
Typically a gas-powered power washer will have an engine that weights at least 25 pounds, these engines are internal combustion engines, with this in mind you shouldn’t be surprised by the fact that these are obviously larger than their electric cousins.
Most gas pressure washers have built-in storage to hold the pressure gun and spare nozzles.
They will usually come in one of two styles either they will be of a wheelbarrow-esk shape, or they’ll resemble a hand truck, and will also differ in tire size and style.
Cleaning power calculation and Engine size
The calculation for cleaning power is as follows:
- Cleaning Power (CP) = Water pressure (PSI) x Water Flow Rate (GPM)
When talking about gas power washer engines, we define the engine size in cubic centimeters (CC).
What this measurement and that being CC describes in is the volume of the combustion chamber, so the bigger the combustion chamber, the larger the CC and the more powerful the engine, with more power, the engine will be able to produce a higher PSI.
So no you understand the engine and its measurements, the next one is the pump.
The pump is usually described using “flow rate” this is represented in gallons per minute.
you need both to be large in number to get a higher cleaning rate, for example here are two units, which produce the same cleaning power but have differing PSI and GPM.
- 4000 PSI (engine) x 2.325 GPM (pump) = 9300 Cleaning power units
- 3100 PSI (engine) x 3 GPM (pump) = 9300 Cleaning power units
Start style – Electric or recoil starter
There are two types of starter for your small internal combustion engine, these are electric and recoil, your gas-powered clean will come with one or the other, though sometimes it’ll come with both.
Engines which come with an electric starter are usually more expensive than the recoil starter variety.
Most pressure washers are cold water, but you may be surprised by the fact that you can indeed get hot water pressure washers, these hot water cleaners come with a heating element/boiler which is used to heat the water up to 104 F (50 C) above its current temperature.
Hot water easily cuts through grime and tough stains, it breaks down those solid bonds, making cleaning much easier.
This is exactly why your dishwasher uses hot water to clean your dishes.
If you visit your local car dealership, you’ll find that they use hot water pressure washers to remove the transport wax which is applied to vehicles to protect them during transportation.
Carriage Frame Construction
Depending on the size of your gas powered washer the washer may come in the hand truck or wheelbarrow stance, the large the and more powerful units tend to use the wheelbarrow stance as they allow for the bigger engine and pump.
The frame is usually constructed from welded steel and will incorporate vibration isolation engine mounts.
You want to be looking for washers which have heavy-duty pneumatic tires, these are the best and will last the longest.
During winter it’s normal for your to store your pressure washer, before you do so you need to empty your gas tank, if that’s not an option you’ll want to add a stabilizer to it.
If you don’t the seasonal weather changes can cause stored gasoline to deteriorate which will cause ignition issues and make cause damage to your combustion chamber as these controlled explosions won’t happen predictably.
You should use fresh gasoline if you haven’t used your pressure washer since last season.
It’s advised that gasoline should only be stored in a Jerry can for 3-4 months.
How your pump is driven
When it comes to how the pump is driven by the engine, there are two styles. These are direct-drive and belt-driven. They both have their pros and cons, and these are:
These are usually quite compact and affordable, though extended use (usually over 4 hours a day). This extended use can cause the engine to overheat, direct drive also tends to vibrate and generate more noise.
Are bulkier than direct driven as more space is needed to accommodate the belt, the addition of the belt will increase the amount of maintenance your pressure cleaner will need, it also reduces the engine/pumps efficiency.
That said, the belt will reduce the RPM and while also absorbing vibrations which will improve the life of the pump and engine.
The lower RPM will allow the engine/pump to run at a lower temperature which should mean that the unit shouldn’t over with extended (over 8 hours a day) use.
A quick look at the best gas pressure washers
The best brands gas power cleaner/washer brands
We find there are 6 top brands when it comes to gas-powered pressure washers, our favorite 3 are.
When it comes to the residential market, the Simpson brands dominate all.
Simply put: Simpson make powerful and reliable unit’s that are also incredibly affordable.
What you may not know is that back in 2009 Simpson reached a deal with the Black & Decker Corporation, which happen to be the owners of the DeWalt trademark, to manufacture and sell their washers under the DeWalt name.
So what does that mean? It means that DeWalt and Simpson’s washers are exactly the same, they are in fact made on the exact same assembly line in Arkansas.
Perhaps one of the brands with the longest history in the residential power tool market.
They were the first to bring the small size generators to the home use market. They’ve since added pressure washers to their residential offerings.
One unique feature of Generac is that they design and manufacture their own engines when it comes to Simpson et al. they tend to use engines from Honda, Kohler or Subaru engines.
The benefit of this is that Generac has complete control over the design and construction of these engines. Something that Generac likes to brag about, as their engines are purpose-built for their customer needs.
If you happen to be a contractor in the pressure washing space, then there is no doubt that you’ve used a Pressure Pro constructed unit, the major of the skid mounted and commercial-duty pressure units are built by Pressure Pro.
They are on the more expensive end of the market.
Price, price, and quality
When it comes to price, you get what you pay for when purchasing pressure cleaners.
What you get for $300 and below
There are very few brand new gas pressure washers that sit in this price range, you can get them from Generac, these are of the medium-duty style.
Increase your price to $300 – $500
This is the typical price range for a decent heavy duty gas washer. Heavy-duty units will have 2-3x the cleaning power of your common electric washer.
$500 and above
For the residential market most won’t need a pressure washer this powerful, but if you do, this is where the premium unit’s live, these have huge potential.
An example of a washer in this range is the 4,000 PSI and 4 GPM Pressure pro with a 13 hp GX390 Honda Engine and Cat tiplex plunger pump.
Warranties usually differ based on the manufacturer, but you might be surprised to know that actually, warranties tend to be rather standard across the board.
The engines will usually come with a 2-year limited warranty. While the rest of the unit will have around 1 year.
Those for the more perishable elements like the hose, the pressure gun, and the nozzles will sometimes only be covered for a limited time, normally up to 90 days.
Now a limited warranty means that they’ll only guarantee that the unit is “free from manufacturer’s defects in material and workmanship”.
If your machine starts revealing faults, you’ll need to take it to an authorized dealer, and it will be down to that dealer to decide if the fault has been caused by you and your use or if the defect originated from poor quality control during its manufacture, workmanship or the materials used.
SIMPSON GC190 OHV, AAA Triplex Pump MSH3125-S MegaShot 3200 PSI 2.5 GPM Gas Pressure Washer, Honda Review
Our top pickView on Amazon
- GAIN CLEANING POWER IN YOUR HANDS: If you are looking for a powerful pressure washer with minimal investment that will accommodate even the most demanding cleaning needs, then we have got you covered. Meet the SIMPSON MSH3125 gas pressure washer powered by HONDA. At 3200 PSI at 2.5 GPM, this easy to use power washer will eliminate dirt, grime or even mildew from any hard to remove spot or area!
- KINK & ABRASION RESISTANT HOSE: Forget all those messy and easily destroyed water hoses. Invest in our flexible, lightweight, 1/4-Inch x 25-Foot MorFlex high pressure hose. MorFlex hoses are non-marring, kink and abrasion resistant which means this pressure washer hose can withstand some heavy-duty use. The M22 connectors will ensure a secure and safe fit.
- SELECT THE CORRECT NOZZLE TIPS FOR YOUR CLEANING NEEDS: Do not compromise with anything less than perfection when it comes to your gas pressure washer. Now with a gas-powered SIMPSON pressure washer you are the boss of water pressure! Choose among 5 different nozzle tips (0°, 15°, 25°, 40°, and soap applicator nozzle) depending on the surface you are cleaning.
Simpson Cleaning has created a safety-focused, powerful and user-friendly pressure washer for all outdoor cleaning needs.
The powerful and reliable HONDA motor and kink-resistant hose with 5 cleaning nozzles provides a smooth and effective cleaning experience.
The last thing you want when power washing your home or shop is a twisted, flimsy hose.
This pressure washer from Simpson Cleaning comes with the MorFlex hose, which is designed to be kink-resistant (no annoying twists and bends to ruin the flow) and very long-lasting.
A good engine is paramount when using heavy-duty pressure cleaners.
You can trust the familiar name of HONDA, and the engine it has supplied to this pressure washer.
The engine has been designed to be easy to start so you can get the job done quickly, without battling with a temperamental engine.
- Sturdy, kink-resistant MorFlex hose for reliable and long-lasting use
- Adjustable water pressure with 5 different nozzles to choose from
- Spray gun features a safety lock-out
- Includes a powerful engine for fast and effective cleaning (Honda GC190 engine)
- 10”, premium pneumatic tires for easy maneuvering and transport
- Hose, spray gun and wand can be stored on board for clutter-free convenience
- Suitable for a large range of outdoor cleaning jobs (including vehicles, pools, exterior walls, and patios)
- The HONDA engine conforms to EPA and CARB emission standards
- The HONDA engine comes with a 2-year warranty
- Ideal for all outdoor cleaning and blasting jobs
Some users have commented that the oil tank leaks slightly
This is the right gas pressure washer for you if you’re looking for something with a powerful, reliable motor and a sturdy hose which won’t kink and twist as you work.
Great for the safety-conscious cleaner with heavy-duty cleaning jobs to do.
- 212cc EXCELL OHV gas engine (50 State)
- On-board storage: Hooks for the spray gun and hose keep them tidy, built-in nozzle holder keeps them handy.Axial style BRASS HEAD pump with stainless steel pistons & thermal relief valve to extend pump life
- Ergonomic rust resistant wand assembly with quick connect nozzle tip. Fuel tank capacity (gallons): 0.95
It can be bothersome to store large, bulky cleaning appliances, especially when you’ve got limited space.
This gas pressure washer has been designed with a low-profile body so you can pack it away neatly when you’re finished cleaning.
With an impressive pump and 5 cleaning nozzles, this is a practical and handy model.
The roll cage has been carefully crafted to keep all components of this gas pressure washer safe and protected.
What’s more, it has a collapsible handle and a place to neatly store the hose so you can keep all components neatly together.
The low profile and collapsible handle allows you to tuck under a workbench for out-of-sight storage.
The wheels are reliable, never-flat 10” tires which can roll easily over all kinds of terrain with smooth maneuverability and ease of movement.
- Comes with 5 nozzles with color-coding for easy identification and switching
- Low frame designed for easy and discreet storage under benches in workrooms and garages
- Powerful 212cc Excell OHV gas engine
- Rust-resistant wand with an ergonomic design for comfortable and easy handling
- Long-lasting pump with an axial-style brass head
- Pump features stainless steel pistons and thermal relief valve
- Ideal for all outdoor cleaning and blasting jobs
- Comes with 10” tires designed to remain full at all times
Some users have commented that the instructions are not clear enough
This is a perfect for anyone wanting a tidy and discreet washer with sturdy wheels and a powerful engine.
Our runner upView on Amazon
- Clean smarter. Clean up to 50% faster.
- Power Dial ergonomic spray gun allows you to easily adjust the pressure needed between four different tasks - car, wood, concrete and soap - at your fingertips
- Attachments included: Turbo nozzle removes dirt and grime 30% faster and soap blaster sprays soap 3x farther
This has to be possibly one of the most affordable medium-duty gas pressure washes on the market. There is a reason that the Generac SpeedWash with 2900 PSI and 2.4GPM is one of the most affordable, and that’s because it is the least powerful gas power washer on the market.
That said its price is comparable to Karcher the leading electric pressure washer brands most expensive model.
Generac is a well-known brand producing some of the best pressure washers on the market, alongside their portable and standby generators.
This brand designs and manufactures their own engines and pumps, meaning they control every aspect of their gas pressure washers.
This Generac gas powered cleaner comes with large diameter tires, and it’s designed to sit in an upright, easy to move manner. It comes with quick connect nozzles allowing you to adjust your water pressures depending on the job. It also features a kink resistant hose.
- extremely affordable for a gas power washer
- Large diameter tires
- upright, easy to maneuver design
- 30 feet Kink resistant hose
- 4 quick connect nozzle tips
- Power dial for quick adjustment to pressure
- 3 years of warranty
- Low power for a gas pressure washer
- Can vibrate under load
- Location of wand holder is close to engine exhaust
This is a fantastic entry level gas powered pressure washer and would be at home in anyone’s home. If you want an affordable medium-duty gas power cleaner, then this is the pressure washer for you.
This is a sleek and sophisticated gas pressure washer with an onboard soap tank you can load with detergent for powerful cleaning.
You’ll find strong wheels, a long hose and many other impressive features to get you excited about your pressure cleaning sessions.
If you have to wheel your power washer across rough or uneven terrain to get to all of the dirty spots you want to clean, good tires are essential.
This washer from WEN features 12-inch tires. These tires can handle any surface and give you the pleasure of a smooth and easy-to-steer cleaning experience.
The onboard soap tank features a handy nozzle through which you can easily pour your pressure washer detergent.
- Comes with a generous 30-foot hose
- Includes an onboard soap tank for cleaning with detergent
- Comes with five nozzles which can be interchanged quickly and easily
- Sturdy 12-inch wheels
- Features a 42-inch spray lance with a lockable trigger
- Powerful 208cc OHV engine
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Nozzles have their own onboard storage space so you never lose them
Non-collapsible so might be difficult to store if you’ve only got small or tight storage spaces
If you’re after a gas pressure washer with sturdy, wide tires, a long hose for high-up washing, and a powerful engine, then definitely check this one out.
It is deal for anyone wanting to use detergents and soaps to ramp up the cleaning power of their pressure washer.
Pressure Pro E4040HG Heavy Duty Professional 4,000 PSI 4.0 GPM Honda Gas Powered Pressure Washer With General Pump Review
I have to be honest, this is a bit of a ringer when it comes to comparing performance in the heavy-duty category. When you put this pressure washer up against the others on this page, well it’s in another league.
This Pressure Pro has a belt driven pump. Which is driven by a Honda GX390 engine, which is almost double the size of the of the best value Simpson above…
The pumps that Pressure pro uses are either the Annovi Reverberi or CAT brand.
Both of these pumps are premium pumps and are of a triplex plunger style, but number matter which you choose there’s a pretty hefty price tag, but this is a commercial all day use machine.
- Lifetime frame warranty
- High 4000 PSI 4.0 GPM pressure output
- Powerful 13hp Honda GX390
- 5 quick connect nozzles
- 50 feet of non-marking steel reinforced hose
- Pneumatic Tires
- CARB compliant
- Could do with a longer hose
If you want the best then this is the pressure washer to get, I would say for your typical residential property this is way too much machine, but that said, there’s no job that this machine couldn’t do.
Gas-powered pressure washers offer strong and powerful washing for the toughest, most stubborn messes.
These three models offer a powerful engine and various other features which have been designed for ease-of-use and effective DIY cleaning.
Assess your needs before making your purchase. Consider storage, hose length, tire size, nozzle options and safety features to find the best one for you.
We highly recommend the Simpson Cleaning MSH3125-S 3200 PSI .
Last update on 2018-12-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API