- Best laser level for home use reviews
- Buyers Guide
- Ease of Use
- Laser level for home use comparison chart
- Wrap up
Hanging that picture frame perfectly level, getting your countertops so level that a coin on its end stays completely still, these are typical jobs that homeowners face when making home improvements.
Achieving those perfect level results just isn’t possible with an old bubble level, they aren’t entirely accurate, and they can be a bit of a pain to work with if you don’t have one the right size or you need a third hand to hold the level. At the same time, you drive a screw in while holding whatever it is you are hanging up against the wall.
This is where laser levels come in and why I’m going to show you the best laser levels for homeowners, these things have gotten cheap enough that really no home DIYer’s toolkit should be without one. Though there are tons of models out there and going through the selection process can feel overwhelming, even more so if you are new to laser levels.
I believe that a well-informed buyer will find the right model that’s right for them and, at a price that they’ll love, to do that they need to be given all the facts. My guides are designed to do exactly that, and my unbiased reviews highlight the good and the bad, so you can find the best laser level for home use, which makes your next job easy and frustration-free.
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
Best laser level for home use reviews
- Projects a self-leveling laser cross on your work surface to easily layout your jobsite
- EASY-TO-USE ELEVATING TRIPOD: Kit includes a tripod that has a working range from 17" to 47". The laser can be used either with the tripod or independently. For uneven surfaces and inclines, compensate by adjusting the telescoping legs of the tripod.
- SAFE TRANSPORTATION: The kit includes a durable, hard-shell carrying case so that you can safely and easily transport it to job sites. A locking mechanism holds internal components of the laser level in place and protects the inner pendulum to avoid damage to the internal mechanism during transport.
This laser level from Johnson is designed to project both vertical and horizontal lines at the same time, which is why this is a cross line level.
This has a range of 100 feet when used indoors, so it is perfect for those who are looking to do some indoor home renovation projects.
Because of how many convenient features this thing is packed with the Johnson 40-0921 Cross Line Laser Level is often the laser level of choice for those who are looking to install chair rails, kitchen cabinets, framing a room, or even installing a drop ceiling.
The 360-degree graduated base is a fantastic feature that helps in working out angle layouts. Its self-leveling feature ensures that this level stays accurate and isn’t prone to user error when using a bubble or spirit level.
This level maintains an accuracy of up to a 1/4″ when as far away as 35 feet and self-levels to within six degrees of perfect leveling. This is the best laser level for hanging pictures.
It comes with safety glasses and a case, adding to the value for money, what I didn’t like is that it uses a proprietary thread so you can’t just mount this onto a standard camera tripod to raise it up should you need to.
- An impressive interior range of 100 feet
- Long battery life of 12 hours
- The visual indicator shows when the device is out of level
- Safety glasses and case included
- The accuracy of the product should be improved
- Bright light conditions make the laser invisible
- Uses a proprietary mounting system
- PRECISE AND ACCURATE: Save yourself the hassle and measure perfect, level lines effortlessly and super-fast with this professional self-levelling instrument! Boasting an internal pendulum level with vertical accuracy range of ± 4° and 230 ft working range (with a receiver), the AdirPro Cube 360 cross line laser will make all your wall studding, shelf installation, picture hanging and tile aligning tasks a breeze!
- FLAWLESS ACCURACY : Featuring two separate line beams (the horizontal one with 360° coverage), generated from 635-670nm laser diodes with an accuracy of ±1/8 inch at 30 feet (±3 mm at 10m), you can finally achieve precise lines whether you’re working . Simply select your preferred mode to adjust the laser line’s brightness at the click of a button and make your life easier than ever! Three levelling settings: auto level on/manual level on/level off. Environmental class: IP54
- MADE TO LAST: Extremely durable with a slip-resistant, ribbed rubber housing for extra stability and scratch-free protection, this compact laser line levelling tool will easily fit in the palm of your hand and let you take it with you anywhere with ease. Carefully designed with a locking system to ensure the compensator stays in place during transportation, the CUBE 360 promises to outlast all your previous levels.
The Adirpro Cub 790-360 is capable of casting a laser up to 230 feet away. That’s an incredible distance. It’s also able to throw a laser in 360 degrees, which is perfect for leveling cabinets in a room without having to reposition the base.
You also get a hard case and a tripod, so transporting and using this level is a breeze, even in those rough conditions.
This laser level is accurate to 1/8 of an inch at 30 feet, this is an incredibly accurate level.
Its self-leveling feature is accurate to 4 degrees, which is again highly accurate, and you get your first set of batteries, which I find a nice touch as you can get to work immediately.
This isn’t a dustproof or waterproof model, which makes it useless for outdoor use, plus the beam itself struggles outdoors. This is only useful for indoor use.
- Huge range
- Very accurate
- Includes tripod and case
- Batteries included
- Not good for outdoor use
- PROJECTS LINE – The laser level tool projects a bright red horizontal + vertical line onto surfaces up to 50 ft., so you can quickly align/install projects like cabinets, trim, or molding.
- SELF-LEVELING – The laser level automatically levels to cut out any guesswork.
- CONVENIENT CHARGING - The integrated rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery has a convenient micro-USB charging port.
This model from SKIL is great for those who want something with great performance, while also not wanting to break the bank.
This is an automatically leveling level, making it a great tool to use, even more so if you are in a rush and don’t have time to mess around manually calibrating a level. It’s accurate to within four degrees of level, so you can be very confident in its results.
You also get a rechargeable battery included, which is good for your wallet as you won’t have to keep purchasing batteries but also good for the environment as you won’t be throwing batteries away.
This is accurate to 3/16th of an inch at 30 feet, which is perfect for most indoor uses. It doesn’t include a tripod which does limit it’s functionality, though it does come with a stand which is attached to a clamp, so you have some mounting options out of the box.
If you don’t need a tripod and want something with great value for money, then this is it.
- Great price
- Rechargeable battery
- Very accurate
- No tripod
- 📏 3-PRONGED APPROACH - combines a fine-tuned tape measure, a triple-positioned leveling bubble and a NEW laser level to provide maximum results.（Note: Laser Ranging Error,that is given as "+/-2mm at 10m and 25m";If the laser is the Vertical Level or the Horizontal Level, you shouldn't adjust the Beam.)
- 📏WORKS FOR INDOOR - designed for any situation where a straight line or accurate measurements are needed, such as measuring locations on a wall, space between hangers, level the nails. Regardless of the situation, it's completely plug & play. Note: Fades in sunlight or outdoor use.
- 📏8-FOOT Measuring Tape - comes loaded with an 8-foot measure that includes imperial and metric linear measures, with graduations down to 1/32" and 4mm.
This is an interesting option, it doesn’t look anything like the other laser levels on this list, and it’s available at a very bargain-basement price.
You get a tape measure included in this level as well as a bubble level, this is an all in one cross-line level, It’s accurate to within 2 mm at 10 meters, which is seriously impressive. Also, you get two sets of batteries included, adding further to its value.
This, however, is rather bulky compared to other models, it’s all in one feature make it perfect for home use, but it’s bulky nature make this laser level not ideal for traveling, I would look for a more compact model.
This isn’t rated for outdoor use, so you are limited to indoor applications, it can’t get wet or exposed to dust. If you don’t want to carry a bubble level and tape measure around, then this has you covered.
While it isn’t the most versatile option, it’s low price makes it perfect for anyone toolbox.
- Includes tape measure
- Very accurate
- Includes extra batteries
- Not rated for outdoor use
- 360-degree rotating wall attachment projects a laser line at any angle
- Two extra large backlit bubble vials are provided for maximum accuracy and visibility
- Ideal for hanging pictures along a stairwell, hanging mirrors, installing curtain rods, and other domestic items
This laser level from Black+Decker is another cheap laser level. If all you need is a simple level, then this might be the perfect model for you. You get a rotating base that allows it to be mounted to a wall. It also comes with a spike so it can be secured into sheetrock, while you position items in a straight line.
You have to have this model against a wall for you to be able to see the laser line, so it won’t work across the room like other laser levels.
How it is very compact in size, and its low price makes it perfect for other activities such as hanging pictures or keeping your tiles straight when laying them. It is also perfect for those who value straightness. Many people use this model to improve their calligraphy projects.
This model does lack any self-leveling feature, it’s also short range, it can only draw a line 10 feet or so, which isn’t long enough for many projects.
You can’t use this with a tripod as it has to be mounted to the wall or the floor.
- Good for calligraphy
- No self-leveling
- Has to be mounted on a wall
- Projects bright, highly visible green laser lines whatever in dark or light; ideal for tile alignment, wall studding, windows, doors, etc.
- Three laser-line modes: level, plumb and Cross-Line; accuracy: 1/4 in. At 30 ft; self-leveling capability when within 4 degrees of level
- Lock (Manual) mode to project laser line in any angles for straight alignment, stair railing, creative wallpaper.Etc.
This green laser level, the HLCLG01 by Hammerhead, comes with an adjustable mounting clamp. It can project horizontal, vertical, and even cross line lasers across various surfaces, with a fantastic level of visibility thanks to the green diode.
It has an accuracy of ¼ inch at a range of 30 ft, which is perfect for home use if this level is outside of its self-leveling range, there is a red indicator letting you know.
- The green lasers are bright for easy visibility
- Acceptable accuracy of ¼ inch for a 30 ft. range
- Self-leveling capability also shows you when there is a problem current level
- Not very good for long-distance or outdoor use
- Horizontal and vertical line modes - projects two lines independently or together for a wide array of level and/or alignment applications
- One button operation makes it easy select between horizontal, vertical, and cross line modes or turn the tool on/off
- Flexible mounting device conveniently clamps to multiple surfaces for quick and easy setup
This laser level from Bosch the GLL2 projects highly visible horizontal laser lines, which can be seen with ease at a distance.
This is a self-leveling cross-line laser, with very accurate alignments, you can switch between the various different types of modes to help you with horizontal, vertical, and cross line leveling. All of these modes are accessible from a press of a button to switch between them.
You also get a flexible mounting device that can be clamped to multiple surfaces for ease of use.
- A smart pendulum leveling system
- Highly visible laser lines
- Flexible mounting positions
- The device has a shorter battery life
- Cannot be mounted on all surfaces and hold perfectly
Getting the right laser level for your home is rather simple, it comes down to three key features that you should consider before you buy one.
The first feature is accuracy. Accuracy is where a laser level shines over their bubble based predecessors. The best laser levels usually come with a plus or minus four degrees of tolerance, so you will get an almost perfect level line without having to manually calibrate the level.
Other models may offer around six degrees of accuracy. You don’t want a model that’s any more inaccurate than that as it will start to cause problems.
There are manual options as well, these will be as accurate as you are with a bubble level.
Ease of Use
The second feature to look for is the ease of use. The best models come with self-leveling features, so not only are these levels accurate, but you can use them in automatic mode and let them do all the work, this feature tends not to be on the cheapest models, but in my experience, it’s worth paying a little bit more for that feature.
The final thing I tend to look for is mounting options. Some models come with the ability to mount them to a tripod, which keeps them very steady and easy to move around if you are working in a tight space and need to reposition them.
If they are tripod ready or compatible, you don’t need to pile up a stack of items to get to the level to the height you need for your project. This saves time and frustration.
Some also come with clamps or sticky pads that allow you to attach them to a range of surfaces.
Laser level for home use comparison chart
|Self Level||Battery Life|
|Johnson Level 40-0921 Self-Leveling Laser Level Kit||1/4-in @ 35ft||100||±6°||12 hrs|
|AdirPro Cube 790-360 Horizontal Home Laser-Level||1/8 in @ 30ft||230||±4°||12 hrs|
|SKIL Self-Leveling Homeowner’s Laser Level||3/16 in @ 30ft||50||±4°||15 hrs|
|Qooltek Multipurpose Home Laser Level||1/8 in @ 30ft||30||Manual||12 hrs|
|BLACK+DECKER BDL220S Laser Level||1/8 in @ 10ft||15||Manual||12 hrs|
|HAMMERHEAD HLCLG01||1/4-in @ 30ft||30||±4°||15 hrs|
|Bosch GLL2||3/16-in @ 30ft||30||±4°||15 hrs|
So there you have it, you don’t need to spend a lot of money to get a laser level that’s capable of home-based projects.
All of these Best laser levels for home use have the same features you would get the top of the line laser levels, such as self-leveling capabilities, multiple projects, and various mounting/clamping capabilities.
These are affordable for homeowners and DIYers who don’t want to spend too much on a tool.
For me, though, my favorite laser level for homeowners is the Johnson Level 40-0921 Self-Leveling Laser Level Kit due to its excellent accuracy, long-range, self-leveling feature and also has a case and a tripod as standard.
The runner up is the AdirPro Cube 790-360 Horizontal laser, which has an incredible range, and excellent accuracy, while also coming with a tripod. Still, its outdoor performance is what cost it the number one spot.
Hopefully, my laser level for home use reviews and buyers guide have helped you. Hopefully, you are armed with the information that you need to buy the best laser level for a homeowner, if not, if you have any questions or if you think I should include a model, then please leave me a comment below.
Last update on 2020-11-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API