- Best Laser Square Reviews
- Best Laser Square Buyers Guide
- Tips on Using/Maintaining Laser Square
- Best laser square comparison chart
- Wrap up
Gone are the days of just throwing down a chalk line or setting up some strings to get a perfectly straight set of lines. These days the only way to truly align tiles is by using one of the best laser squares. The best tilers will use a tile laser level to ensure that their tiles are set out perfectly.
There are many different models to chose from, whether you are a professional or a DIYer knowing which laser square to get can be an impossible task, which is why I’ve put together these laser square reviews as well as a buyers guide. So you can find the right laser level square for your needs.
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
Best Laser Square Reviews
- VERSATILE: The Bosch GTL2 Laser Level Square projects horizontal and vertical chalk lines on any surface up to 30-ft
- VISIBILTY: Bright, sharp, highly visible laser lines to help you square, align and angle at 90° for squaring kitchen tile, bathroom flooring layout, and walls
- CONVENIENT: Features an alignment guide for 90° layout and calculates and turns angles in 5° increments
Bosch creates amazing tools that are loved by DIYers and professionals alike, and this laser tile square is no different, the laser beams are projected at 90-degree angles with a range of up to 30 feet. The angle can be adjusted in 5-degree increments. The dual laser lines turn on with a simple press of a button.
This model will project both horizontal and vertical lines that you can easily see on any surface. There’s a push-button that helps secure this level to a surface without the need of adhesives.
Working with this model outdoors will be a problem. When direct sunlight casts over the red laser beams, well, they become quite difficult to identity, so using this in bright lighting conditions isn’t going to work out very well.
This model can only project two lines, which for most purposes, is fine, but personally, I look for three or more lines to ensure that no matter that task, I am able to complete it.
- Simple and easy to use
- Great for the floors and quick wall hanging jobs
- Low price
- The laser line is only visible indoors
- This Product Is A Class 2 Laser Product, < 1Mw Power Output, Wavelength 635 Nm
- Precision: Accurately Projects 90° Lines For Squaring Tile, Flooring Layout, And Walls. This Laser Square Features Lines That Are Positioned In Front Of Laser Base For Easy Centering Over Point And Precise Adjustment
- Visibilty: Bright, Sharp, Highly Visible Laser Lines Raise From The Surface To Project Over And Travel Past Uneven Surfaces Or Obstructions; Exclusive Switchable 45° Line Helps Verify Proper Positioning Of Square Tiles Between 0° And 90°
This Bosch tile later is capable of projecting 90-degree lines, plus there’s an option 45-degree line, which makes squaring up incredibly easy with this laser level. The position of the laser line generators within the Bosch GTL3 makes it fantastic for a wide range of applications, even when remodeling cases.
The laser lines are projected from the front of the laser at the base, which makes it very easy to center and square this up, giving precise adjustments,
This Bosch GTL3 professional tile laser level is water and dust resistant, it’s an IP54 rated device, so it’s not waterproof, but it is dustproof. This is a tool that will withstand job sites for years, even with regular use.
You get a magnetic base included in this level, which provides a very secure attachment to anything metallic the positioning plate ensures you can attach this anywhere you need.
The laser lines, however, don’t work too well outdoors or in direct bright sunlight, so you will need to either use some laser glasses or wait until the sun isn’t so bright.
- Provides 0, 45, 90 and 135-degree layout
- Easy to use, simple one-button operation
- Dust and splash protected
- Strong magnet for secure attachment
- Lightweight, it is easy to carry around
- The laser line is quite dim under sunlight
- PERPENDICULAR LASERS: This Johnson Laser Tool is exclusively designed for flooring installation jobs. The two laser beams projected by this tilting laser form a 90-deg. angle for reference while flooring.
- MANUAL LEVELING: The manual level laser offers dual leveling vials to be used on vertical surfaces. The lasers can easily be leveled by manually aligning the bubble vials built into the laser units.
- ACCURACY & VISIBILITY: Laser beams from this flooring laser conveniently project over wet mastic and flooring materials for accuracy. They offer excellent visibility, unlike the traditional chalking methods that are typically concealed by adhesives.
This laser level is designed to project it’s laser lines onto the surface of a floor. It generates two lines, and these lines are at a 90-degree angle from each other, which makes this perfect for tiling floors and walls.
You can use the Johnson Level & Tool 40-6624 on a wide range of surfaces and projects like tiling floors, working with bricklaying, hardwood flooring, and even carpeting.
This tool comes with a built-in protractor, which quickly and easily helps you establish important angles; you can vary the angles to suit any angle that you need for whatever you are working with.
The body of this laser is made with plastic, it doesn’t feel very durable, and while it looks strong, plastic can be easily damaged.
- Compact and easy to use
- Good accuracy
- Multiple uses
- The plastic body is not very durable
The laser square from Stabila is a mid-range professional laser level. It’s got a durable design and a cracking beam, and it’s incredibly strong, so you won’t have any projects seeing this.
The laser lines so bright enough to see for most jobs, and that includes working outdoors, plus it’s really simple to set up, making this perfect not only for professionals but also for DIYers and homeowners.
The beams projected by this level are thinner and much sharper than the bosch levels above, and you get a range of 50 ft. However, if you purchase a laser receiver that working range can be expanded all the way to 490ft, a little excessive, but hey, you may be working on a very large project.
Stablia makes the more expensive models for use by the industrial trades, and while this is a basic model, it benefits from that same design, manufacturing, engineering, and workmanship.
Make sure to keep ahold of your sales receipt as this is your key to the two-year warranty.
- Strong beam
- Durable construction
- 2-year Warranty (with sales receipt)
- Lacks 45-degree beam for square tile positioning
- ACCURACY: The Bosch GPL 5 Five-Point Laser offers a five-point level with points up/down, front and sides for plumb, level, align and 90° square. It provides an accuracy of +/- 1/4 In. at 100 feet
- MOUNTABLE: The laser tool over-the-track application design accurately transfers and aligns laser points by magnetically mounting to metal. Multi-purpose attachment positions the mount with magnets, strap or threaded mounts (5/8 inch-11, 1/4 inch -20)
- SMART SYSTEM: With Bosch’s Smart Pendulum System, the GPL 5 has automatic out-of-level sensing with blinking lasers indicating out-of-level condition. It is self-leveling and locks when switched off
This a serious bit of kit. The Bosch GPL 5 offers an accuracy of +/- 1/4 In. at 100 feet. Whatever you are working with is going to be incredibly accurate. The beam’s strength is so strong that this works well even in direct sunlight.
this laser tool excels when it comes to positioning, control, and accuracy, this has multipurpose mounting so you can secure it wherever you need.
Unsurprisingly this is a self-leveling laser level that features a pendulum system to detect any out of level states. There’s also an automatic pendulum lock, which activates upon shut-off to ensure the pendulum remains undamaged.
This is a well-engineered, durable laser line level, which is water and dust-proof.
The capabilities of this laser level far exceed the needs of your typical average homeowner or DIYer, but if you want the best, then this is it.
Should you lose calibration, Bosch recommends that you take this to a professional dealer for recalibration. Something buyers who just want to tile a bathroom or hang pictures onto walls may only take as a warning.
- Multi-purpose mount
- Automatic out-of-level sensing
- Bright beam for most outdoor work
- 2-year warranty; requires registration
- Complex calibration and setup
- Has a learning curve
Best Laser Square Buyers Guide
A laser square is a cracking tool when you want to square up an area. A laser square will emit precise beams at either a straight line or at 90-degree angles, and some include the 45-degree angles as well. This tool eliminates chalk dust and the fuss required to put out strings.
Most laser squares turn on with a simple press of a button, instantly projecting their lines, making alignment quick and easy and much more accurate than rope lines or chalk lines.
You’ll find that there’s a wide range of laser levels on the market, and many that work well as laser squares, a lot have a laser square as an option.
Accuracy is obviously the most important factor, but there are also other important factors such as the brightness of the beam, the ability to adjust the angle, the working range, battery life, and warranty.
These features will vary from model to model, so you need to find a laser square that suits your needs, based on those factors.
Most specialist laser squares will come with preset 90-degree perpendicular beams. Some, however, will also include a 45-degree angle beam. The most advanced models will come with a self-leveling feature ensuring perfect accuracy.
Laser squares are often used as a laser level for laying tiles, which is a tedious job even more so when you use chalk lines or string.
Most come with a variety of mounting options, including magnetic plates and tripod brackets. though you may find they come with strips of adhesive.
Once you’ve mounted a laser square, it’ll stay in position throughout your project.
With any laser level, accuracy is the most important factor. Many laser squares work great for short-range projects. However, a lot don’t work over long distances. Accuracy various between models and manufacturers, so you should check that the working range meets your requirements
Range & Brightness
While the working range of a laser is great, the brightness will affect how far you can see the laser beam. The range of a laser square/level translates directly into how much area you can cover without repositing the unit.
Beam strength/brightness can drop quickly over distances in laser squares, even more so if direct sunlight is involved.
You can improve the situation by wearing laser detection glasses.
When using a laser level regardless of whether it’s a laser square or a rotary laser level, you need it to be mounted securely. Otherwise, you can’t be sure of its accuracy. There are many different methods of mounting a level.
The most common is a hole in the housing where you attach it to a nail onto a wall. The better quality models will have support for tripods, magnetic plat mounts, etc.
I suggest you avoid the adhesive strips, I’ve never had good luck with them, and the glue on them doesn’t stick too well to a lot of surfaces, even more so if dust is present.
There’s nothing worse than your laser level just shutting down partway through a project. This is why battery life is important, can you switch up the batteries with new ones? or is it using a rechargeable pack?
Durability is given in an IP rating. Some models won’t have one at all, and others will be rated IP54 or higher, meaning that they are dust-proof and water-resistant.
You should choose a level that suits your working environment. If you aren’t working in wet or dusty environments, it doesn’t make sense to invest in a laser that is IP54 rated. These will come at an extra cost, one which you may not need.
I, however, have invested in on that’s IP54 rated as I’ve found even DIY jobs to be incredibly dusty, and I don’t want the laser to stop working because of dust.
Warranty isn’t something many factors into their buying decision, and for a good reason, a lot of laser squares are basically disposable, use them on the job site, get the job done, and replace them. But that’s a waste of your hard-earned cash.
So asides from investing in a decent quality durable laser square, look for one with two or more years of warranty, so you are covered should it stop working.
Tips on Using/Maintaining Laser Square
When you use your laser square, you want to make sure that you use it correctly that you get all the benefits of using a laser square.
Here are some simple tips to ensure you use your laser square properly.
Do not store this device in a hot area, or near objects that are emitting a lot of heat. Heat can shorten the lifespan of your laser square.
If your laser isn’t at least IP54 rated, then you need to make sure that you do not leave it outside in the rain. As soon as there’s a sign of water, quickly place it back into it’s protecting casing, also do the same when it’s not in use.
Before you move the device, make sure that it’s turned off, and make sure to store it where it won’t get knocked over by any other job site equipment that may be in the back of your pickup truck
Best laser square comparison chart
|PRODUCT NAME||Accuracy||Working Range||Protection||Battery life||Warranty|
|Bosch GTL2 Laser Square||± 1/2 in @ 30-ft||30 ft||N/A||15 hrs||1 year|
|Bosch Square Layout Laser GTL3||± 1/16 in @ 20-ft||65 ft||IP54||18 hrs||1 year|
|Johnson Level & Tool 40-6624||± 1/4 in @ 20-ft||23 ft||IP50||20 hrs||2 years|
|Stabila Laser Square FLS90||± 1/4 in @ 20-ft||50 ft||IP54||20 hrs||2 years|
|Bosch 5-Point Alignment Laser GPL 5||± 1/4-in @ 100ft||100 ft||N/A||5 hrs||2 years|
Hopefully, in these best laser square reviews, I’ve managed to narrow the market down to just the best options, and that one is a perfect match for what you need. If not, then I hope that my buyer’s guide has given you all the information you need to find the right laser square for you.
If you have any questions for a laser square that you think I’ve missed, let me know in the comments section below.
Last update on 2022-07-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API