- Best Outdoor Laser Level Reviews
- 1. Topcon RL-H5A Rotary Outdoor Laser Level
- 2. Hilti PR 2-HS A12 Robust Outdoor Rotating Laser
- 3. CST/Berger RL25HV Rotary Exterior Laser Level
- 4. Bosch GRL400HCK Self-Leveling Outdoor Laser Level
- 5. Johnson Level & Tool 40-6552 Exterior Laser Level
- 6. Johnson Level Tool 99 006K Self Leveling Laser System
- 7. Bosch GLL3-330CG Green Laser Level For Outdoor Use
- 8. DEWALT DW089LG Green Outside Laser Level
- Outdoor laser level buyers guide
- Outdoor Laser Levels Comparison Chart
- Wrap up
Laser levels can make working outdoors much easier. Though when you purchase any new tool, there’s always a risk, we all hate to be the person who shows up with that new shiny piece of technology only to discover that it doesn’t measure up to the promises made by the manufacturer.
It’s also incredibly hard to show for expensive tools online, a lot is riding on that purchase, and I want to take the pressure off of you and make sure that firstly you understand everything you need to know about the product before you purchase it, but also so that you buy the right product for you.
My unbiased outdoor laser level reviews will show you the good and bad about each model so that you can choose a model that has all the features you want while avoiding all the flaws that you don’t need. I’ve also put together a buyers guide to ensure that you know everything you need to purchase the best outdoor laser level for you, even if you never owned one before.
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
Best Outdoor Laser Level Reviews
finding the best laser level can be difficult, let alone one that makes it easy to work outdoors, in these reviews, I am only showing you the creme de la creme, so your task of picking the perfect level is made much easier.
- MULTI-PURPOSE LASER: Grading, excavating and general construction projects are perfect applications for the RL-H5A. With the IP66 rating, the RL-H5A is "job site tough" and can withstand dust, a sudden shower and even torrential rainfall.
- EASY TO USE: With electronic self-leveling, you press the power button and go right to work in seconds. If the RL-H5A gets disturbed on the job it relevels itself automatically. The self-leveling motors are accurate to ±10 arc seconds.
- LONG RANGE WITH HIGH ACCURACY: Need to shoot elevations up to 800 m from your laser? No problem - this instrument has the power and range to cover a 800 m diameter job site.
The Topcon RL-H5A is a self-leveling rotary laser level which has the longest working range in this list.
It’s considered to be the successor of the famous RL-H4C; this rotary level combines versatility, with high horizontal leveling accuracy and value, to make this the best.
This powerful level has an accuracy of 1.5mm and long-range use of up to 2600 feet or 800 meters, and you also get a manual one axis slope. The super-fast self-leveling feature gives you results that are accurate within ±10 arc seconds (±1/16 inch at 100 feet).
It will self-level within ±5° of level, and its rugged IP66 waterproof rating makes it’s ideal for all weather conditions. So there are no worries about the weather or dust affecting this laser levels performance.
It’s not light, coming in at 2.3kg, and it’s advanced features make it rather bulky and inconvenient for the average user; however, it is the perfect professional laser level for outdoor use.
- Extra-long battery life (60 hours) plus backup alkaline battery (100 hours)
- Ideal for long-range operations
- Its 600 rpm makes usable with a machine mounted laser sensor
- Tripod is not included in the kit
This laser level from Hilti takes the technology to another level, it’s a robust outdoor rotating laser with 360° impact protection.
This has been made to outlast all other tools. It features a unique head, combined with four shock-absorbing handles. It’s a rugged IP66 rated laser level with a protective housing that can withstand even the toughest job sites.
It features drop resistant technology that protects both it’s internal and external components. The universal rotating laser ensures that you handle horizontal and manual slope layout tasks with ease.
Hilti didn’t want this to be affected by the sun, so they’ve equipped this model with Pulse Power Technology so that the laser beam is unaffected by the direct sunlight as well as other light sources for perfect visibility when used outdoors.
This has a working range of 1969 feet/600 meters with an accuracy of ±0.02 in at 33 ft.
The Li-Ion battery has a life of 16 hours on a single charge, and the CPC technology ensures fantastic power management, also the battery fully recharges in 35 minutes!
- Extremely easy-to-use with one button, one function operation
- The laser receiver features an extended 12 cm window for quick detection over an extended working range
- Advanced digital measurement feature makes the leveling more accurate
- Unaffected by the sun and other light sources
- Longest warranty coverage, up to 20 years
- Tripod is not included in the package
- Vertical Beam Feature: for easy and precise layout of 90-Degree corners and plumb applications- Both horizontal and vertical beams are self leveling
- Glass Enclosed Top Housing: for maximum weather and environmental protection
- Full Selection of Beam Visibility Enhancements: Variable speed (0,150, 300, 600 RPM) and Variable scan angles (10, 25, 50 Degree)
CST/Berger has knocked it out the park with this RL25HV rotary laser level, it’s perfect for both interior and exterior leveling and alignment jobs.
It’s the best value interior/exterior laser level kit, with its package including an RD1 laser detector, tripod, and a remote control. This also self-levels both vertically and horizontally within ±5 degrees of level.
The vertical beam makes this fantastic for interior use as a plumb laser allowing electricians to use this laser level for ceiling work.
It has incredible accuracy with its 3/32 accuracy levels and a working range of 2,000 feet/610 meters, and there won’t be many jobs that this laser level can’t accomplish. You’ll handle any professional building or outdoor construction projects such as building pools, contour framing, drainage, and setting foundations.
A fantastic feature beyond just it’s accuracy levels is that this features an excavation mechanism that allows its horizontal laser to rotate or stay still. This ensures that you level the groundworks precisely.
The durable glass-enclosed top housing and the rugged design ensure it’s able to withstand harsh working environments.
- Includes remote
- Great case
- Variable speed and scan angles
- Tripod could be better
- STURDY: The Bosch GRL 400 H Self-Leveling Rotary Laser features a robust design with glass enclosed cage for water and dust resistance with IP56 protection. And the two durable carrying handles make transportation uncomplicated.
- ACCURACY: The rotary laser with laser receiver projects bright, highly visible lines at a long working range with accuracy-Up to 3/32-Inch at 100-Feet.
- EXTENDED RANGE: The laser receiver detects in extended ranges up to 1300 feet. The receiver also has a dual-sided LCD display for easy visibility on both sides of the tool.
Bosch is an incredibly popular brand with a very loyal following. This is thanks to its reputation for engineering and manufacturing high-quality tools.
The Bosch GRL400HCK is so impressive that it stands out as the best Bosch outdoor laser level. It features a smart pendulum system that helps it self-level, and the manual model locks the laser at any angle you need for slope leveling.
This uses Bosch’s patented dual laser system with horizontal lasers for high accuracy leveling.
The laser is strong enough for a long working range of up to 1,300 feet with an accuracy of 3/32 at 100 feet.
You can customize the setup to your needs, making it very versatile, you can adjust the laser beam up to 6-lengths and in 3 rotation speeds of 350, 600, and 1200 RPM for easy visibility.
It’s IP56 rated, making this a fantastic Bosch exterior laser level capable of working in extreme working conditions
- Includes remote
- Easy calibration
- The case could be more durable
- Designed for outdoor use and simple set up
- Electronic self-leveling in the horizontal plane
- Vibrate mode ignores slight movements as in windy conditions
If you are looking for an exterior rotary laser level on a budget, then the Johnson Level & Tool 40-6552 laser level kit is it. It’s a simple and very powerful, and overall easy device to use.
This is an inexpensive laser level, ideal for tackling outdoor applications like site preparations, grades establishment, setting foundations, and contouring.
It auto-levels within 5° and delivers accuracy of 1/8″ at 100 ft.
A feature I love is that it includes a vibrate mode that ignores slight disturbances, such as when you are operating in windy conditions.
The battery life lasts for almost 36 hours on 4 C alkaline batteries.
- A simple set-up for smooth operation
- Ergonomic design, lightweight for secure transfers around the working field
- Includes a remote control that works within a 200 feet diameter range
- Audible and visual alarms when beyond leveling range
- Only lasts for 24 hours with the rechargeable batteries
- TURNKEY SOLUTION: The 99-006K self-leveling rotary laser system includes a soft carrying case (laser only), a 13’ grade rod, LED one sided detector, a contractor grade tripod, freestanding target, a drop-ceiling bracket, and laser glasses. Dimensions: 6.61" x 4.96" x 6.69"
- EXTERIOR RESIDENTIAL: Great for leveling forms and footings, aligning fence posts, grading/excavation, or laying out retaining walls, planting beds, and more. Rotation Speeds: 200, 400, 600 RPM. Laser Wavelength: 635nm±10nm (Red)
- VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL USE: Use vertically for laying out walls and floors, or installing metal drywall track. Use horizontally to install wainscoting, drop ceilings, or for leveling cabinets. Interior Range- Up to 200 ft. diameter depending upon light conditions. Exterior Range- Up to 800 ft. diameter with detector (included in 40-6516 and 40-6517)
if you want great performance that won’t break the bank, then the Johnson Level Tool 99 006 is the tool for you. You get a 13-foot long grade rod, which is something you typically have to purchase separately. It’s capable of working both vertically and horizontally.
Plus, it’s self-leveling.
The downside is the laser isn’t the brightest.
- Includes 13-foot grade rod
- Works vertically and horizontally
- Great price
- Laser brightness
- ALL-IN-ONE: The Bosch GLL3-330CG 3-Plane Leveling and Alignment Line Laser is both a complete level as well as an alignment laser. Works With- Laser Receivers-LR8, Tripods-BT160, BT170HD, BT300HD, BT 150, Telescoping Pole System-BP350, Telescoping Leveling Rods-GR 16, GR500, Mounts and Positioning Devices-WM 4, BM 1, BM3, LB10, RM 2
- VISIBILITY: With Bosch’s built in VisiMax technology, the GLL3-330CG monitors power consumption to maximize line visibility and extend overall battery life of the line laser
- GREEN LASER: The GLL3-330CG offers a green laser which is up to 4X brighter than standard red beams, the leveling laser has a working range of up to 200 ft. diameter; Operating temperature -14° F -10° C up to 104° F 40° C
Yet another Bosch on the list… It’s not a surprise really, Bosch really do produce some fantastic tools.
The Bosch GLL3-330CG is a Three-plane leveling and alignment line laser, and let me tell you this is a versatile device that works fantastically both indoors and outdoors.
Bosch has engineered this laser level to give you a complete level and an alignment laser. This is an all-in-one device that gives you up to 200 ft interior and up to 330 ft outdoor (with pulse mode and the optional LR8 receiver) working range.
This features Bosch’s VisiMax Technology that monitors the diodes temperature and battery power consumption so that it can then optimize the line visibility to protect the diode from overheating and also extend the battery life.
It also comes with Bluetooth and an app for your phone so that you can control it remotely! Just install the Bosch Leveling Remote App, and you are set.
This line laser level can generate three green-beam laser chalk lines in 360° laser planes, two vertical and one horizontal, and the green beam is up to 4X brighter than a standard red beam.
- Green laser
- Pulse mode
- Poor rechargeable battery
- Oversized case
- DEWALT laser level comes with 12V MAX lithium-ion rechargeable power tool battery platform
- Laser level tool features green beam laser technology
- DEWALT green laser level has integrated magnetic bracket with 1/4-inch and 5/8-inch thread
Last but certainly not least on my list is the DEWALT DW089LG line laser level. This is very similar to the Bosch GLL3-330CG.
It features a full pulse mode so you can use it with a detector. It features an indoor working range of 100 feet and an outdoor range of 165 feet when paired with a laser detector.
With an accuracy level of 1/8” at 30 feet, it is the best DEWALT line laser for interior and exterior applications.
It has three 360⁰ green laser beams that offer an excellent visibility range of up to 100 feet when working indoors. It also features an over-molded housing with an IP65 rating for water and dust resistance.
A, love it or hate it feature in this, is that it does not automatically shut off, for some that’s great in that it doesn’t stop working while you are in the middle of something, but it does mean you need to remember to turn it off to conserve battery life.
- Green laser
- Runs on DEWALT 12V battery line
- Great case
- No target or glasses included
- Average performance outside
Outdoor laser level buyers guide
I can only hope that my outdoor laser level reviews above have led you to a model that you think might be right for you. However, if you’re still not sure that you are making the right decision, then hopefully, this buyer’s guide will help guide you in purchasing that epic laser level for outdoor use.
I’ve packed in as much information as I can about using laser levels outdoors, after you’ve finished this guide you’ll be able to sort through the models above like an expert, knowing that the one you end up choosing will be perfect. I’ve also put in a few tips to ensure that you get great value for money, so if you are after a fantastic deal, make sure to check out this guide.
The most important thing that you need to consider when using a laser level for outdoor use is how visible the laser is going to be in the sunlight. The sun is the enemy when it comes to laser levels, so if you are looking to get some fantastic value for money, then you need a laser level that has an above-average performance.
The first feature to look for in a model that will perform well outdoors is whether it uses a green diode, the best green laser levels are up to four times brighter than red diode laser levels.
This makes them the best choice for projects that are hundreds of feet in range, or when you are outside trying to battle against the sun.
Rotary lasers can project a laser that is visible hundred and, in some cases, thousands of feet away. Paired with a laser detector and a grade rod, they can be extremely effective in direct bright sunlight. High-end rotary laser levels give you the ability to change it’s rotational speed, slowing down the spin and the range of the beam, or speed it up to produce an overall brighter beam.
While in some cases you can make do with a red laser level when working outdoors, you are doing to have a tough time, and it won’t be enjoyable if you don’t employ a laser detector. In some cases, the margin of error increases drastically beyond 100 feet.
Battery life is a huge consideration when you are selecting a laser level for outdoor use. Most of the time, you probably aren’t going to have easy access to an electrical outlet when working outside, which is why the majority of laser levels are designed to be used on battery power.
Some models use disposable batteries, which isn’t a bad thing, as these can often have a higher energy density over rechargeable batteries, so it can last longer and weigh less. It’s also relatively inexpensive to keep backups on hand should they die on you.
The downside is that disposable batteries do mean you have a constant running cost, which over time, can become an expensive investment. You also have to remember to keep a spare on hand (I’ve been caught out a few times), and they aren’t environmentally friendly.
Rechargeable laser levels are a great investment, they tend to cost more upfront and are often heavier, they are far better for the environment, and the majority last long enough to give you an entire day worth of work before needing to be recharged.
Of course, you need to remember to recharge them (another thing I’ve been caught out by). If you want to use them continuously for more than a standard workday in hours, you may find they don’t live up to your expectations. However, battery technology is continuously improving, so that statement may be irrelevant in the near future.
If you have a model that is a part of the larger battery line, like DeWalt’s 12v battery line. It’s possible that you may already own batteries that could extend your laser levels life if you own other DeWalt 12v tools. That’s a huge plus and ensures you are getting great value for money.
An often underrated feature is durability, Laser levels are commonly used on worksites where they will suffer knocks and being dropped. Hence, you want to ensure that your laser level is durable enough to survive these conditions. They need to be more robust than your average tool.
While you never want to drop a tool of this price, it’s bound to happen eventually, I’ve never intended to drop my phone, but it’s happened.
Using a tripod can significantly reduce this risk, so picking up a model that includes one is an excellent first step, if you do get a model without a tripod, it’s a good idea to invest in a compatible tripod, as this will improve the safety of the device and also ensure you can get it positioned properly.
Another durability thing that’s often overlooked is the case. You want to invest in a model that comes with a high-quality case, especially if you are taking this from one job site to the next. A good case will ensure that you can pack this tool into the back of your truck and not have to worry about it getting damaged or out of alignment.
This is a fantastic option to have on a laser level, well unless you are part of a team using the laser level, then the value of a remote goes down somewhat as someone can man the laser. Though perhaps it would be cheaper to use the remote and not pay someone to stand next to a laser.
If you are going to working alone, then a remove will provide a considerable boost in your productivity. You won’t be running back and forth to ensure that the laser is set up correctly.
Most models that come with a remote allow you to turn them on and off from the remote. This will extend your battery’s life while you are working when you don’t need the laser at that moment, as you can switch it off without having to go back to the laser.
Some models also allow you to adjust the rotation speed and scan angles remotely. If you get your level properly positions, and then walk out to where the beam is landing, only to find it’s not bright enough, you can adjust this easily from your remote, increasing the visibility of the laser, without having to trudge back to the laser level.
Which laser level is right for you?
There are a huge number of laser levels on the market, and unfortunately, because of this, a lot of people end up with one that they just don’t like using. Regardless of the price, getting a model that you can’t stand to use, means you got poor value for money.
So it’s important to focus on getting a model that you like before you focus on the price tag.
For laser levels, that means making sure that you get a model that meets all of your needs when working outdoors, this means focusing initially on laser brightness and range, then you can look at accessories such as a remote, a grade rod or even a detector which will come in handy on the job.
Once you have a list of the features that you need, you can then break down the models to the ones that suit you then filter those by price.
You can then pick the cheapest model on the list, providing it provides all the features that you need for a great experience, and as it was the most affordable, you get the best overall value for your hard-earned money.
Outdoor Laser Levels Comparison Chart
|Topcon RL-H5A Rotary Outdoor Laser Level||2,600 ft (800 m)||±1/16-in @ 100ft|
|Hilti PR 2-HS A12 Robust Outdoor Rotating Laser||1,969 ft (600 m)||±0.02-in @ 33-ft|
|CST/Berger RL25HV Rotary Exterior Laser Level||2,000 ft (600 m)||±3/32-in @ 100ft|
|Bosch GRL400HCK Self-Leveling Outdoor Laser Level||1,300 ft (396 m)||±3/32-in @ 100-ft|
|Johnson Level & Tool 40-6552 Exterior Laser Level||2,000 ft (600 m)||±1/8-in @ 100-ft|
|Johnson Level Tool 99 006K Self Leveling Laser System||200 ft (60 m)||±1/8-in @ 50 ft|
|Bosch GLL3-330CG Green Laser Level For Outdoor Use||330 ft (100 m)||±3/32-in @ 30-ft|
|DEWALT DW089LG Green Outside Laser Level||165 ft (50 m)||±1/8-in @ 30-ft|
My favorite outdoor laser level is the CST/Berger RL25HV Laser Level it offers the best value for money and comes with a remote, variable speed and scan angles, and it self-levels for the ultimate convenience.
There are others you could go for in my best outdoor laser level reviews, such as the Bosch GRL400HCK, which is very easy to calibrate at home and comes with a remote, while also having a long working range.
If you want the best overall value then my choice would be the Johnson Level Tool 99 006K, this is due to it’s horizontal and vertical performance, the fact it’s self-leveling and it includes a 13-foot grading rod, while also being rather low priced.
Hopefully, my buyer’s guide and reviews have helped you firstly understand laser levels and how they can improve your effectiveness outdoors, but also helped you find the best outdoor laser level model for your needs.
If you have any questions or you feel that I’ve missed a model that would fit well on this list, please leave a comment below.
Last update on 2022-07-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API