Table saws are undoubtedly one of the most important innovations to come from the power-tools industry. That said, in small garage workshops a cabinet table saw is just far too big and cumbersome, they certainly can’t be taken to the job site.
So due to space or situation you need a solution and the solution is to go and buy the best portable table saw for fine woodworking.
Portable table saw or not, the investment is significant, especially when purchasing of the best portable table saws, these don’t come cheap, but are absolutely worth your money.
I’ve done all the hard work and narrowed the list down to a few along with my portable table saw reviews, leaving you with the easy task of picking the one that most suits your needs.
How Can You Ensure That Your Portable Table Saw Is Suitable for Woodworking?
The first thing you’ll want to do is to complete several accuracy checks to confirm the portable table saws competency for fine woodwork.
It doesn’t matter how well a tool is built, your portable saw blade will become less accurate over time. This is why you should regularly check the offset of the blade and the rip fence
You want your blade to be parallel with its miter slot and the rip fence, if you don’t have proper slot and blade alignment your cuts won’t be square.
I suggest also using a dial indicator, this way anyone can make adjustments at home without needing to get a professional involved.
Sure, this process does take a bit of time and does need a lot of care, but if you follow this guide you’ll have an incredibly accurate table saw.
My top picks for the best portable table saw for fine woodworking
I’ve put together my top choices for the best portable table saw for fine woodworking to help your decision, I’ve looked at accuracy, cutting depth, heavy duty miter slots, sturdy stands, accurate rip fences, and whether the table saw will accept a dado stack.
All the things you would look for when creating cabinets and furniture.
- DeWalt DWE7491RS (Checkout on amazon) (Best for portability, accuracy, rip capacity and budget)
- Bosch 4100-10 (Checkout on amazon) (Best onboard storage system)
- Rockwell RK7241S (Checkout on amazon)
- DeWALT DW745 (Checkout on amazon)
- SKILSAW SPT 99-11 (Checkout on amazon) (Best for large budgets, portability, accuracy, rip capacity, and durability)
I’ve got four fantastic table saws, but for me the one that stands out is the DeWalt DWE7491RS, it just ticked all my boxes, a fantastic mitre and fence system, with accurate blade adjustment controls.
It also accepts a dado stack, you will need to purchase the Dado Throat Plate (DWE7402D1) to accommodate the extra width.
Here are my choices and why I felt they were perfect for fine woodworking.
- Your purchase includes one Dewalt table saw, 10inch 24-tooth carbide blade, rolling stand, push stick, miter gauge, rip fence, 2x blade wrenches, blade guard assembly manual
- Other Specs: Max rip to left of blade – 22inch | Max rip to right of blade – 32-1/2inch | Max width of Dado – 13/16inch | Arbor size – 5/8inch | Amps – 15 | Depth of cut at 45inch – 2-1/4inch | Depth of cut at 90° – 3-1/8inch | No Load Speed: 4800 RPM
- Rolling stand designed for easy set up and breakdown with excellent stability
Perhaps one of the best table saws for the money on the market today. This is a fantastic tool and if you are looking for your next portable table saw, this is it.
Out of the box the DWE7491RS can handle widths up to 32.5 inches and has a rip capacity of 3 ½ inches. It’s 15 amp motor produces 4,800 RPM which is fantastic, producing 2 HP which is more than enough to cut a wide variety of hardwoods quickly. Not only can it handle hardwoods, but it’s perfect for cutting trim equipment and vast shelving.
It has a collapsible stand that is incredibly stable, a feature that is ideal for a small workshop. You can transform this table saw into a rolling hand truck in a matter of minutes. It also includes two dust collection ports one on the blade guard and the other at the rear. This ability to control the dust, large rip capacity and incredibly accuracy is what makes this the best portable table saw for fine woodworking.
The best portable table saw needs to be able to not only handle fine woodworking but also be portable, I mean it’s in the name, Which is where another benefit of this portable taw saw shines. The amazing rubber wheels underneath this table saw easily roll over curbs, steps and navigate the job site with ease. The portable saw can also be removed from this stand.
A fantastic feature of this DeWalt table saw is that it can accept a dado stack, so you won’t have to do multiple cuts with a cross cut sled, you’ll get repeatable and accurate cuts from your dado stack when creating dados and rabbets.
That said to allow a dado stack you will need to purchase DeWalts dado throat plate to accommodate the additional blade width.
The Dewalt DWE7491RS portable table saw is perfect for experts and beginners alike, i would go as far as to say that this is the best portable table saw for fine woodworking and for general home usage and for all your cabinet making needs.
- Rack, pinion fence system
- Large 32 1/2 inch rip capacity
- Depth of cut at 45°: 2-1/4”
- Depth of cut at 90°: 3-1/8”
- Max width of Dado: 13/16”
- That’s right, this accepts a dado blade
- Cutting Diameter: 10 Inches
- Warranty: 3 years, limited
- Arbor size – 5/8”
- 15-amp motor
- 2-1/2″ Dust Collection Port easily connects to a vacuum for efficient dust extraction
- 4800 RPM (revolutions per minute)
- On-Board Storage System provides easy access to the Blade Guard Assembly, fence, riving knife, miter gauge, wrenches, push stick, and cord wrap when not in use.
- Packed with safety features
- Easy to set up
- Durable 24 tooth carbide blade
- Comes with a push stick and miter gauge
- Telescoping fence rails retract to create a small, portable package
- Flip over ripping fence allows for narrow rip cuts
- Rolling stand designed for easy setup and breakdown with excellent stability
- Rack & Pinion Telescoping Fence System Make fence adjustments fast, smooth and accurate
- Patented material support can be used for narrow rip cuts.
- Product Dimensions: 31 x 31 x 24.5 in.
- Table Dimensions: 26.25 x 22 in. of cast aluminum
- Accurate cuts from an amazing contractor table saw
I fell in love with this portable table saw while testing, it can handle narrow and large cuts, it’s a fantastic saw for fine woodworking and when compared to other portable table saws, well it’s now my go to for my small shop.
- Accurate and stable fence
- Stable folding stand
- Handle large and hardwood materials
- Amazing at fine woodworking
- Durable and portable
- Dual dust collection port
- Rear fence lock
- Powerful table saw
- Fantastic safety features
- Precise measurement scale
- Accepts a dado stack with a dado throat plate
- Can’t use existing accessories from earlier models
- Must purchase accessories separately
Bosch Power Tools 4100-10 Tablesaw - 10 Inch Jobsite Table Saw with 25 Inch Cutting Capacity and Portable Folding Table Stand ReviewFantastic onboard storage
- Powerful table saw – has 15-Amp saw with 4. 0 max HP and 3, 650 rpm, for rip-cutting and cross-cutting of fine and rough materials
- Dimensions: 37.7" D x 29.4" W x 19.4" H | Product Weight: 110 lb
- Large cast aluminum top – provides increased work space and material support with a 30 In. ripping capacity
The Bosch 4100-10 is a solid piece of kit something I expect from Bosch power tools, you won’t regret purchasing one. It’s been designed to handle heavy use under jobsite conditions. It’s regarded by many in the construction industry as the best folding table saw.
With it’s innovative gravity rise design, this table saw stand is almost fully collapsible and adjustable.
Regardless of the dimensions of your workspace, or the specific needs of the project. This is one of those portable saws that won’t have any problems. IT’s 8-inch rubber-composite pneumatic wheels tackle any job site.
Unlike the DeWalt this comes with all the accessories you could dream of, including a T-slot miter gauge and Bosch’s innovate smart guard system.
The no-load RPM motor provides 3,650 RPM, provided by this portable table saws 15 amp motor along with 4 HP, which is incredibly.
Safety is key and Bosch has your safety at the forefront of their minds with this table saw. This is something i’ve come to expect from Bosch power tools and this saw is no exception.
This saw incorporates soft-start circuitry, this is fantastic as it prevents loads on the table saw blade from tripping the circuit breaker. It also includes a constant-response circuity guards, which ensures the motor is overloaded and stabilizers the blade speed. This is ideal for accurate rip cuts which don’t cause blade burn.
Accuracy doesn’t just come from the blade speed, the square lock rip fence ensures the ease of adjusting the fence, but also helps to prevent kickback. Plus the view barrier blade guards ensure you can see your workpiece through the entire cut.
Like the DeWalt above this table saw can accept a dado blade, but it will need a dado insert
I loved the Bosch 4100-09 and this is even better, it’s accurate, comes with loads of accessories, can create dados and rabbets quickly and accurate… seriously what more could you want?
How about time saving? With Bosch’s gravity rise technology setting up and breaking down this table saw is incredibly quick and easy. It’s also not a portable worm drive table saw with is neither a pro or a con, just a different drive mechanism.
- Loads of accessories
- Accurate and fast
- Accepts a dado stack but will need a dado insert
- Gravity rise system metal roll cage table stand, saves time when setting up and packing away
- Adjustable riving knife
- 10″ blade length
- Included push stick
- Amazing blade guard system
- Steel roll cage
- Arbor cam lock
- The new stand has been improved over the old gravity rise stand
- It’s a little small, but that’s the price of portability
As you can see in our review, we love this table saw, it has the largest rip capacity of all the portable table saws I’ve listed for fine woodworking however does that matter? Do you really need the ability to rip a 4×4 in a single pass?
- Blade Length: 10 inches
- Power: 1800W
- No Load Speed: 4800 RPM
- Dimension: 38.75 x 27.598 x 18 inches (package)
- Weight: 88.2 pounds
However it’s 30 inch capacity… yeah that’ll do for cabinetry! That’s a really decent rip capacity, not as large the Dewalt DWE7491RS however, but this includes a laser indicator, that’s right freaking lasers!
With the incredibly rip capacity you get a 30-inch rip fence that can be folded out to offer a maximum capacity cutting depth of 2-9/16 inches at 45 degrees and 3-9/16 inches at 90 degrees. The blade spins at 4,800 RPM meaning this cuts through wood like a hot knife through butter.
The trolly stand on this best portable tables saw deserve a call out, the wheels make this effortless to navigate around job sites plus the extension table includes a miter gauge and rip fence, which when not in use can be stored onboard.
This table saw is also unique in that the riving knife, anti-kickback pawls and blade guard are all connected and removed as a single unit.
If you do removing them you will need to install it’s separate riving knife, which odd, but not difficult.
This table saw does take a dado stack, it can handle a stack up to half an inch, which is a good size.
Plus it’s incredibly portable!
It’s also already assembled in the box, that’s right, there’s no time lost reading instruction manuals to put this reliable tool together, it’s built already, so ready to make rips through thick wood right out of the box. I love that.
For me the main standout is the laser indicator guide, it really helps to highlight the blades path and allows you to adjust the blade tilt with unbelievable precision and efficiency, this also reduces downtime on jobsites as you can quality line up cuts without having to make lots of checks of the blades accuracy.
- Excellent dust removal
- Incredible rip capacity
- 30 inches of width for cuts
- Accepts a dado stack
- Powerful table saw making large projects doable.
- While it accepts a dado stack you are limited to ½ an inch
- Adjusting the blades alignment is a “unique” process
- 22 kilograms unit weight and optimized footprint make this the most portable saw in its class. Shoe bevels 0 to 45 for beveled cuts
- Steel roll cage protects saw against jobsite drops and impacts, rack and pinion fence system, front and rear fence lock and large, clear scales combine to give an extremely accurate and easy to use saw
- Powerful 1850 Watt motor for high performance in all applications. Max Rip To Left Of Blade 12 inch. Max Rip To Right Of Blade 20 inch
The Dewalt DW745 is an amazing work horse, it doesn’t take a dado stack but you can just use a crosscut sled and accurate measurements. It was considered one of the best jobsite table saws, but It’s also been discontinued and replaced with the Dewalt DWE7485.
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Dewalt offers many portable table saws to meet a wide range of needs, it’s a highly dependable manufacturer of power tools.
This Dewalt job site table saw is outfitted with a incredibly capable high-torque 15 amp motor which can produce 3,850 RPM. This is ideal for medium-fine woodworking projects
It has a smaller width for cutting than the table saw’s above, handling only 20 inches of width.
The accuracy and smoothness of it’s rip cuts are thanks to it’s included 24 TPI carbide blade which is sharp and incredibly efficient. Even if you are working with tough hardwood, you can expect a smooth cut every time.
I’m a huge fan of it’s large rip capacity which is thanks to it’s unique fence configuration.
It’s rack and pinion fence system allows you to swiftly and efficiently make fence adjustments, plus the telescoping fence which allows you to extend the rails 20 inches or retract them entirely for portable, means you can handle some impressive rip capacity.
Safety is a feature of this contractor table saw thanks to it’s included miter gauge, blade guard assembly and push stick. The adjustments made to this table saw are tool-free and hassle-free. I love convenience and safety.
I don’t have a lot to say that’s bad about this table saw. However if you’re working on larger or more heavy-duty fine woodworking projects then you might want to look at a more powerful saw.
- Stable and accurate compact jobsite table saw
- 3,850 RPM blade speed
- Transparent blade guard with an anti-kickback mechanism
- Easily make accurate adjustments to the fence and blade angle
- tool free adjustment
- Small table size
- Lightweight tool
- Does not accept a dado stack
- Smaller ripping width
- Legendary worm drive gearing with 3-5/8 inch depth of cut and 30-1/2 inch rip capacity
- Precision rack and pinion fence system makes fence adjustments quickly and smoothly for accurate cuts
- Rugged rolling stand with 16 inch Wheels and easy-load handles delivers unsurpassed mobility
Here we have the SKILSAW SPT 99-11 10 inch portable table saw, this is for those where your budget doesn’t come into the question. This is one of those portable table saws that’s great for hobbyists who are looking to invest in more powerful table saws.
When I talk about power, i meant it, this portable table saw kicks out 5,300 RPM of arbor speed, this high powered machine can tackle the most demanding projects with ease while providing accurate and precise cuts.
This is a portable table saw belongs at the top of the class, almost every component of this machine has something amazing to offer. This saw comes with a die-cast aluminum table top, as well as an all steel roll cage which ensures that the power produced by this motor transfers without the machine breaking down from wear and tear.
This is built for longevity, it’s an investment in your future. At the core of this table saw is the mechanism that raises and lowers the blade, it’s made from durable metal, which is capable of withstanding extreme temperatures without any adverse impact on the tools functionality.
I love the table top of this tool, It deserves to be called out, as it’s perfectly flat and very spacious. You also get a carbide-tipped blade, an efficient dust collection chamber, a set of high quality anti-kickback pawls and a push stick for safety features. You also get a wrench to make adjustments.
- Comes with a powerful 15 Amp Dual-Field motor made with solid construction that increases its speed of cutting
- Features a self-aligning rip fence and onboard-tool storage that conserves space which helps with the organization in the workshop
- Lightweight at just 49 pounds
- Excellent dust port and an extension table
- The height of the tool is about three feet off the floor which reduces fatigue
- A highly durable brass geared Worm Drive
- The device features a self-aligning rip fence
- Not a good user manual
I’ve mentioned a few times in the article that my favorite choice of portable table saws in this is the DeWalt DWE7491RS, but that’s not to say that the other choices aren’t worth considering, you’d be happy with the Bosch 4100-10 or the SKILSAW SPT 99-11.
- Large 32 1/2 inch rip capacity
- Accepts a dado blade & diablo blade
- 3 years warranty
- Powerful motor
- Excellent storage
- Lots of safety features
- Perfect table saw for fine woodworking
Both are fantastic table saw’s and worthy alternatives.
If the Dewalt DW745 wasn’t discontinued and accepted a dado blade then it would be at the top of this list for the budget conscious consumer, but that title now goes to the Dewalt and a close-ish second is the Bosch.
However if you have an open budget and want a high quality durable tool with an incredible table top, then the SKILSAW SPT 99-11 is the portable table saw that you should look at, it doesn’t have the rip capacity of the DWE7491RS, though it’s much more powerful and matches or exceeds the Dewalt in every other category, this is the premium tool for anyone who wants the best.
Hopefully my list of the best portable table saws for fine woodworking has helped you come to a decision about which one is the perfect portable table saw for you.
The top choices accept dado stacks, can so they can do rabbets, dados, without the need for the crosscut sled, which will save you a lot of time if you are doing cabinetry.
Last update on 2022-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API