- Best rotary laser level reviews
- Buyer’s Guide
- Best rotary laser levels comparison chart
- Wrap up
If your project requires accuracy and precision, then there is no beating a rotary laser level. From the smaller DIY projects all the way to the massive construction projects, this tool can be depended upon for the precision and accuracy that many jobs just can’t do without.
If precision is what you want, then the need for a rotary laser level should be obvious, though knowing which one to choose isn’t so obvious. With so many options on the market, taking the time to consider each one to find the best rotary laser level before purchasing, just takes up time that you probably don’t have, which is why I’ve put together these rotary laser level reviews.
I’ve taken the time to study up on each product, test each one of them, and compare these to other options on the market. You’ll find my unbiased opinion about each rotary laser so you can find the one that suits your needs best.
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
||View On Amazon|
Best rotary laser level reviews
- STURDY: The Bosch GRL 400 H Self-Leveling Rotary Laser features a robust design with glass enclosed cage for water and dust resistance with IP56 protection. And the two durable carrying handles make transportation uncomplicated.
- ACCURACY: The rotary laser with laser receiver projects bright, highly visible lines at a long working range with accuracy-Up to 3/32-Inch at 100-Feet.
- EXTENDED RANGE: The laser receiver detects in extended ranges up to 1300 feet. The receiver also has a dual-sided LCD display for easy visibility on both sides of the tool.
Bosch creates fantastic tools, which is why they have such a loyal following if you are looking for a high-quality saw, drill, and anything in between, Bosch has you covered, and you know you’ll be getting a top-quality tool.
So it’s not a surprise to find that Bosch makes the best self-leveling laser level on the market, at least for this list.
You get absolutely everything you could need in this kit. A tripod, the rotary level itself, a travel case, and a laser receiver.
This is an incredibly accurate laser level, the beam itself can extend up to 1300 ft (396 m). You can modify the rotational speed and use this is almost any lighting condition.
This is an extremely rugged tool, capable of being used in job site conditions.
While this all sounds great, and it is, this isn’t a cheap option. It’s aimed at professionals, and the price tag reflects that.
- Comprehensive kit
- Huge range
- Performs well in any lighting condition
- Not a cheap option
- Vertical Beam Feature: for easy and precise layout of 90-Degree corners and plumb applications- Both horizontal and vertical beams are self leveling
- Glass Enclosed Top Housing: for maximum weather and environmental protection
- Full Selection of Beam Visibility Enhancements: Variable speed (0,150, 300, 600 RPM) and Variable scan angles (10, 25, 50 Degree)
This laser level is a great option that includes all of the accessories that you might need regardless if you are at home or working on a job site.
You actually get more with this one; than you do with the Bosch, you get a rugged case, a remote, the laser unit itself, a wall mount, multiple batteries, laser detection glasses, and a leveling rod. This is a comprehensive package.
The laser level itself is high-quality, it’s diode is glass enclosed to maximize the weather resistance of the unit, giving this unit an IP56 rating. It’s also self-leveling and has a tremendous battery life, lasting up to 85 hours.
You should be aware, however, that this isn’t a cheap option at all! So this is suited for those who had a larger budget. This is also a professional quality tool. This means that the manufacturer assumes you know how to use it, the controls are a wee bit complicated, and if you are an average DIYer, you may struggle to use the CST.
If you are a professional, this is the most comprehensive package you can get.
- Comprehensive package
- Huge battery life
- Weather & Dust resistant
- Complicated to use
- TURNKEY SOLUTION: The 99-006K self-leveling rotary laser system includes a soft carrying case (laser only), a 13’ grade rod, LED one sided detector, a contractor grade tripod, freestanding target, a drop-ceiling bracket, and laser glasses. Dimensions: 6.61" x 4.96" x 6.69"
- EXTERIOR RESIDENTIAL: Great for leveling forms and footings, aligning fence posts, grading/excavation, or laying out retaining walls, planting beds, and more. Rotation Speeds: 200, 400, 600 RPM. Laser Wavelength: 635nm±10nm (Red)
- VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL USE: Use vertically for laying out walls and floors, or installing metal drywall track. Use horizontally to install wainscoting, drop ceilings, or for leveling cabinets. Interior Range- Up to 200 ft. diameter depending upon light conditions. Exterior Range- Up to 800 ft. diameter with detector (included in 40-6516 and 40-6517)
The previous two aren’t cheap options. However, here’s a change of pace; this is a fantastic budget rotary laser level. This rotating laser level is the best for the money pick.
This is another comprehensive piece of kit, complete with a tripod, grading rod, receiver, rugged carry case, and even laser detection glasses.
This is a cracking self levelling rotary laser level.
You can change the rotational speed of the diode across three settings, 200, 400, 600.
It does have some shortfalls. The included accessories, specifically the tripod and glasses are a little flimsy, and the beam is best suited for indoor use.
- Best for the money
- Comprehensive kit
- Three speeds
- Flimsy accessories
- Beam hard to see outdoors
- MULTI-PURPOSE LASER: Grading, excavating and general construction projects are perfect applications for the RL-H5A. With the IP66 rating, the RL-H5A is "job site tough" and can withstand dust, a sudden shower and even torrential rainfall.
- EASY TO USE: With electronic self-leveling, you press the power button and go right to work in seconds. If the RL-H5A gets disturbed on the job it relevels itself automatically. The self-leveling motors are accurate to ±10 arc seconds.
- LONG RANGE WITH HIGH ACCURACY: Need to shoot elevations up to 800 m from your laser? No problem - this instrument has the power and range to cover a 800 m diameter job site.
This is a little bit bare-bones, but the price reflects that. With this option, you are pretty much just getting the rotary laser level itself.
While this isn’t as exciting at the other options, it does feature a rugged exterior and a very reliable self-leveling feature.
The beam itself works fine indoors with a stable indoor environment, but it really struggles when used outdoors.
This is a fairly decent product at a fair price range.
- No accessories
- Struggles outdoors
- Increases productivity with fast setups, fewer mechanical parts, and automatic self-leveling
- Maintains performance even in rainy, dusty and other harsh job site and weather conditions
- Durable design reduces downtime due to drops and tripod tipovers
This unit has an incredibly durable exterior, and comes with a tripod and a carry case, so it’s a little light on accessories.
It can be challenging to use for a DIYer.
- Very durable
- Very pricey
- Lack of included accessories
- Accuracy of 1/16 in. At 100 ft.
- Connect to the DEWALT tool connect app via Bluetooth technology. Features include tool tracking, bump notifications, fall and drop indications, and changes in slope and line direction
- 2000 ft. Range
For me, the stand out feature of this red rotary laser level is it’s Bluetooth capability. You can connect this to your phone via Bluetooth, and with the DeWalt app, you can fully control this model.
You get to know about the tools tracking, fall, drop or bump indications, changes in the slope and line directions, this actually turned out to be an amazing feature for me.
This is built like a heavy-duty machine but doesn’t weigh like one; this only comes in at 6 pounds, this is a fantastic portable tool, perfect for your surveying and excavation needs.
- Range of up to 2,000 feet (diameter)
- Bluetooth feature for remote control/monitoring
- Extremely portable
In this buying guide, I’m hoping to show you what features you need, and which ones you don’t, this is so you are sure that when you pick a rotary laser level, you get better the right one for you, and your needs now and in the future.
The laser level alone is good, but accessories take good to great. I’ve yet to find a tool that doesn’t benefit from some form of accessories, and in the case of a laser level rotary or otherwise, it comes down to the following.
A mounting tripod – This is a very important accessory, it ensures that you can place your laser level anywhere and get it perfectly level.
A case – Your rotary laser kit isn’t cheap, so you want a case that’s going to protect it.
A receiver – This ensures that you get accurate reads at long distances, this is a very handy addition
There are other accessories, but these are the top 3 you are looking for. While getting a full kit can add to the price of the unit, if you are a serious buyer looking to make a lot of use out of the tool, then it’s money that’ll be well spent.
You want a durable laser level, one that can handle being knocked about a bit. On a construction site, it may well get knocked over. You could drop it. And it may well take a bit of beating just knocking about in your truck.
Depending on where you intend to use this, the ruggedness of the last level maybe a huge deciding factor.
Construction grader levelers will usually be sealed against dust and water. You’ll see this in their IP rating. Some also have a shock-resistant exterior.
You will pay more for these features, but you get a level that can handle outdoor use and will last a long time, so once again, money well spent.
Beam Quality aka Laser Class
The quality of the laser beam is very important; without a high-quality beam, the level will be useless.
If you are going to be working outdoors in the sun, or even indoors where it could be bright from direct sunlight through windows, or even the lighting in the building. You need a laser beam that is bright enough that you can see it.
A green laser level (#)will typically stand out much more significantly than a red diode laser. However, how visible the beam will be, depends entirely on the quality of the unit.
A top-end product will work both indoor and outdoor, making them the perfect all-purpose tool for professionals. Though these tend to come with a heftier price tag, but then you need one laser level, not two.
If you intend to take your laser level outdoors, then, unfortunately, the cost is a pill you are going to have to swallow if you want something that works well.
The range is an important feature to take into consideration. The longer the range, the better, but the range ultimately depends on your needs.
If you are only going to need to use it indoors, something that can project 2000 yards away may not be needed. But a laser level that can project over a long-range is still perfect for jobs both near and far, and the same can’t be said for a model that can only project a short distance.
You’ll see plenty of options with a varying degree of range, but for me, anything over 30-40 feet is pretty decent.
The majority of decent top-end models out there will include the self-leveling feature. All this means is that you don’t have to spend lots of time trying to calibrate the tool every time you move it, or it gets knocked.
This is an important feature, and most models these days have it, but make sure to double-check before you buy to prevent any nasty surprises.
Price is always going to be a factor, everyone’s budget is different, and fortunately, laser levels come in a wide range of prices, though you will you will struggle to find something that is top-performing while being cheap.
This is a precision-orientated piece of equipment, and precision doesn’t come cheap. You can, however, save money by reducing the features that are included in the models you are looking at.
Though, there are many models out there that combine great quality and value,
Finally, the last, and certainly not the least, is the brand name. Buying the brand isn’t always important and, in fact, can actually be a bad idea, when it comes to laser levels, this isn’t one of those times.
The brand behind the product isn’t just a name, it’s also the reputation, a company which has a strong brand name in a sector got there by producing strong products over a long period.
You are going to depend on your laser level for accuracy, precision, and reliability, so it makes a lot of sense to purchase a brand with a longstanding reputation for achieving those.
That’s not to say there aren’t some obscure companies out there producing great rotary laser levels, in fact, there are many, but the process in finding them is quite a gamble and at the price points that these tools sit at, it’s not a gamble many would be willing to take.
if you want to purchase a low-risk option, knowing exactly what you’ll be getting, then I suggest buying from a compact that has a well-established name in the industry.
Best rotary laser levels comparison chart
|Bosch GRL400HCK Self-Leveling Outdoor Laser Level||1,300 ft (396 m)||±3/32-in @ 100 ft|
|CST/Berger RL25HV Rotary Exterior Laser Level||2,000 ft (600 m)||±3/32-in @ 100 ft|
|Johnson Level Tool 99 006K Self Leveling Laser System||200 ft (60 m)||±1/8-in @ 50 ft|
|Topcon RL-H5A Rotary Outdoor Laser Level||2,600 ft (800 m)||±1/16-in @ 100 ft|
|Spectra Precision LL300 Self-leveling Laser Level||1,650 ft (500 m)||±3/32-in @ 100 ft|
|DEWALT Rotary Laser Level with Bluetooth DW080LRS||2,000 ft (609 m)||±1/16-in @ 100 ft|
I’ve presented to you in these laser level reviews lots of useful information. Now it’s down to you to take this new data and knowledge and turn that into you buying the best rotary laser levels for your specific purposes.
If you are still unsure, I do have a couple of recommendations that should work for most people. If you want the best rotary laser that you can get your hands on, regardless of the cost, then this Bosch is the one for you.
However, if you want something that’s affordable and performs really well, then I recommend the Johnson 99-006k Self-leveling rotary laser.
If you have any questions or you feel I missed a great option, then let me know in the comments section below.
Last update on 2020-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API