Purchasing a medium-duty pressure washer for your home Is a brilliant idea. It’s the right level of form and function, compact enough to be moved around with ease and stored with ease, yet powerful enough to tackle any task thrown at it.
That’s where this Sun Joe SPX4000 review comes into the mix, I loved the Sun Joe SPX3000, and this is an upgrade and lordy does this electric pressure washer pack a punch, which is why it’s on my list of the most powerful electric power washers.
This pressure washer will give you a squeaky-clean car and then go on to wash your house siding, driveway, outdoor power tools (lawnmower, etc), all without breaking a sweat!
- POWERFUL MOTOR: 14.5-Amp motor
- PRESSURE SELECT TECHNOLOGY: Choose from two powerful cleaning options - LOW for everyday dirt, grease plus grime, and HIGH to tackle your toughest cleaning tasks.
- DETERGENT TANK: Onboard 54.1 fl oz. Detergent tank lets you dial-in just the right amount of detergent to give your cleaning blast a boost
Sun Joe SPX4000 Features
- Powerful 14.5 / 1800 Watt Motor
- 20-Foot High-Pressure Hose
- 2030 PSI, 176 GPM producing 3573 cleaning power
- 35 Ft Cord Length
- Coldwater only
- 2-Year Warranty
- Pressure Select Technology: Choose from two powerful cleaning options – LOW/1450 PSI for everyday dirt, grease grime, and HIGH/2030 PSI to tackle your toughest cleaning tasks
- 5 Quick-Connect spray tips (0º, 15º, 25º, 40º, soap) tackle light, medium, and heavy-duty cleaning tasks
- TSS (Total Stop System) – automatically shuts off the pump when the trigger is not engaged to save energy and prolong pump life
- Includes an extension wand and a 20-foot high-pressure hose, power cord with GFCI protection, garden hose adapter, and needle clean-out tool
- Includes Turbo Spray Nozzle
- Turbo Spray Nozzle cleans concrete, brick, and vinyl surfaces
- Turbo Spray Nozzle cleans 40% faster than a standard nozzle
The TSS (Total stop system) is a fantastic feature which helps protect the motor, as soon as you release the trigger, TSS kicks in and shuts down the motor and pump entirely.
The SPX4000 comes with everything you would need to clean your house, boat, car, garden/outdoor power tools, and it has a range of accessories to make those tasks even more straightforward.
It comes with 5 different nozzle spray tips:
- The 0-degree nozzle produces the highest pressure for the toughest cleaning tasks.
- The 15-degree nozzle is used for cleaning and stripping (moss, paint, etc.)
- The 25-degree nozzle is your all-purpose nozzle, this one will tackle most jobs, I use this one for spraying down my car, for example.
- The 40-degree nozzle is the lowest pressure nozzle, designed for cleaning easily damaged surfaces.
- A soap nozzle which allows you to engage the detergent tank
A feature missing from a lot of medium-duty pressure washers is the ability to select the pressure, typically to change the pressure you need to change the tip on the nozzle.
But with the SPX4000, you also have Pressure Select technology allowing you to dial the pressure down to 1450PSI and all the way up to 2030 PSI. Letting you go from a small duty pressure washer to a heavy-hitting high pressure scrubbing medium-duty pressure washer.
The customer support provided by Sun/Snow Joe is excellent. If you have a problem, you’ll have your question dealt with quickly by a friendly representative.
This is a quite compact machine making it very easy to store. It can fit into most sheds, attics, and garages without taking up too much room.
A 2-year warranty!
A minor con is that the high-pressure hose is only 20-feet, where the majority of pressure washers on the market come with at least 25 feet.
You can only use parts from the manufacturer. For example, the fittings don’t use the standard M22 connector. As such, you will need an adapter.
While I didn’t personally experience this, I have heard that some people suffer from leaks due to the rubber seals not sealing properly
You can find the manual on the Sun Joe website, but to save you time, I’ve included it here. Sun Joe SPX 4000 2030 PSI electric pressure washer
- Sun Joe SPX-ESW4 5.5-Foot Aluminium Extension Spray Wand
- Sun Joe SPX-FC34 34 Oz. Foam Cannon
- Sun Joe SPX-PCA10 10-Inch Patio Cleaning Attachment
- Sun Joe PWB1 Power Scrubbing Broom
- Sun Joe SPX-RB1 Rotary Wash Brush Kit
- Sun Joe SPX-GCA315 315-Degree Gutter Cleaning Attachment
The Sun Joe SPX4000 is a power washer that has earned its reputation. I mean it wasn’t the #1 best seller in the USA for no reason. The ability to change the pressure settings on this power washer is a very useful featured, allowing you to preserve your more sensitive surfaces, While being able to switch to a more powerful intense wash to deal with concrete etc.
As you’ll see in the wrap up below, I am very happy with this pressure washer, it will serve you very well.
What can you clean with the Sun Joe SPX4000
What can’t you clean with a Sun Joe SPX4000? That’s really the question you should be asking. During my testing of this unit, I cleaned my fence, decking, garden furniture, the car several times, and my driveway/yard using the brush attachment.
It excelled at cleaning all of these, with the use of a soap nozzle I even managed to clean an old dried up oil stain that’s been annoying my other half.
Differences between SPX4000 vs. SPX4001
While the SPX4001 is a newer version of the SPX4000, It’s the same unit for the most part, the one thing I noticed is that the SPX4000 comes with a thinner cheaper hose, so if you go for the 4001 and order an extension house, get Heavy Duty version like the one that comes with the SPX4000
Differences between SPX3000 vs. SPX4000
There aren’t many differences between the SPX3000 and SPX4000, what I’ve noticed is the Sun Joe SPX4000 has a larger unit footprint, which reduces the chances of you knocking over this pressure washer. People have mentioned how easily they’ve knocked over their SPX3000.
The SPX4000 also comes with a large detergent tank
This electric pressure washer comes with a 2-year warranty covering the machine and what seems to be the accessories as well. If the machine fails, Sun Joe will replace the entire unit free of charge with free shipping or refund the purchase price.
Though you need to maintain the unit as the manual specifics and make no modifications to the unit.
This is a fantastic warranty offer!
What’s in the box
- Sun Joe SPX 4000 2030 PSI pressure washer
- 40.6-fluid ounce (1.2-liter) detergent tank
- 34-inch extension wand
- A 20-foot high-pressure hose
- 35-foot power cord with GFCI protection
- garden hose adapter
- needle clean-out tool
- 5 quick-connect spray tips Nozzles
Assembling the Sun Joe SPX4000
I love an unboxing video, almost as much as I love unboxing the product itself, but while you wait for yours to arrive, check out this video where the Sun Joe SPX4000 medium-duty electric pressure washer is unboxed and assembled.
Hopefully, it can tie you over until yours arrives!
Troubleshooting problems with your SPX 4000 Electric pressure washer
Here are some issues which you may face with your pressure washer and steps you can take to resolve them.
If you’ve experienced an issue not on the list and have a fix, get in touch so we can share it with others
The machine refuses to start
- Power failure/machine not plugged into a working receptacle – Check to make sure the machine is plugged into a working outlet.
- Defective socket – Check the power cord and reset the GFCI. Try a different outlet.
- Fuse has blown – Replace fuse. Switch off any other machines that are using the same circuit.
- Defective extension cord – Try the unit without an extension cord.
- Pump sucking air – Check the hoses, and connections are airtight.
- Valves dirty, worn out, or stuck – Clean or replace valves/seals.
- Pump seals are worn out – Please call the Snow Joe® + Sun Joe® customer service center at 1-866-SNOWJOE (1-866-766-9563) for assistance.
- Fuse has blown – Replace fuse. Switch off other machines using the same circuit.
- Incorrect mains voltage – Check that the mains voltage corresponds to specification on the model tag.
- Thermal sensor-activated – Leave the washer for 5 minutes to cool down.
- Nozzle partially blocked – Clean the nozzle.
- Fuse too small – Install a fuse with a higher amp rating than the amp consumption of the machine. Try the unit without an extension cord.
- The air in inlet hose – Allow machine to run by holding the trigger until normal working pressure resumes.
- Inadequate supply of mains water – Check that the water supply corresponds to the specifications required. Avoid using long, thin hoses (minimum 1/2 in. diameter).
- Nozzle partially blocked – Clean the nozzle.
- Water filter blocked – Clean the water inlet filter.
- Hose kinked – Straighten out the hose to remove any kinks/blockages.
The machine often starts and stops by itself
- Pump/spray gun is leaking, or Trigger mechanism is broken – Please call Snow Joe® + Sun Joe® customer service center at 1-866-SNOWJOE (1-866-766-9563) for assistance.
The machine starts, but no water comes out
- Pump/hoses or accessories frozen – Wait for pump/hoses or accessories to thaw.
- No water supply – Connect inlet water.
- Water inlet filter blocked – Clean the water inlet filter.
- Nozzle blocked – Clean the nozzle.
Frequently Asked Questions about the SPX4000
Are the hose fittings the standard ¼” size?
Yes the hose fittings and quick adapter are ¼”
Can you put wood sealant in the detergent tank to seal a fence
No. This would seize the pump and void your warranty. This is a pressure washer, not a paint gun, Try this instead Wagner Power Sprayer paint gun
What are the box dimensions
The box dimensions are 25” X 22” X 19”
Can I use <x> soap solution
It’s advised to use Sun Joe detergent products as they won’t harm your pressure washer.
I.e., “Can I use a waxing solution in the detergent tank” – Only if Sun Joe produces one.
Can I fit an extension lance onto the SPX4000
Yes, you can see this extension lance?
When using the detergent tank, should the hose be on or off?
Your hose should always be on when using the SPX4000. Otherwise, you will cause damage to the pump.
Can the SPX4000 work from a water tank?
No, the SPX 4000 is designed to work with a pressurized water source such as a garden hose.
Can the trigger be locked into the “on/open” position?
No, for safety reasons, the trigger requires constant force. As such, if you are working with a large driveway/yard you may get a sore hand.
How do I turn on the soap dispenser?
The dial below the on-off pressure selection dial controls the soap dispenser. Make sure to use the correct nozzle otherwise, the dispenser won’t engage.
Can a siphon hose be connected directly to the SPX4000 from a 1-gallon detergent container, thus bypassing the detergent tank?
Yes, you can remove the tank, and you’ll find a small length of ¼ hose, you can couple this with a longer hose run and draw directly from a detergent container.
When doing windows, do you still need to squeegee it off, so you don’t get streaks?
Yes, and make sure you use some form of cleaning solution.
Does it come with a foam gun separately for the car wash?
I love this pressure washer and have personally purchased it for my home. It’s got the right level of cleaning power for the home and does a fantastic job of keeping my car clean without worrying about stripping the paint.
Quickly removing built-up brake dust from the alloys and creates a lovely thick snow foam for a touchless car wash.
The other day it tore the moss/algae built up in the asphalt in my yard with ease. Previous pressure washers I’ve used have required multiple passes, not with the Sun Joe SPX4000.
If you are still on the fence, jump off and purchase this pressure washer!
- [POWERFUL MOTOR]: Powerful 14.5 amp motor
- [PRESSURE SELECT TECHNOLOGY]: Choose from two powerful cleaning options - LOW for everyday dirt, grease + grime, and HIGH to tackle your toughest cleaning tasks.
- [QUICK-CONNECT SPRAY TIPS]: 5 quick-connect spray tips (0, 15, 25, 40, soap) tackle light, medium and heavy duty cleaning tasks
I’m a happy chappie. Hopefully, this review has helped your buying decision. If not, or if you have any questions please let me know in the comment section below.