Knowing which pressure washer to get and how to do the job isn’t easy, and let’s face it, your wood fence used to be an eye-catching thing.
It was an absolute beauty when you had it installed a couple of years back. But the elements had wreaked havoc over time, and now it looks dull, listless, and just plain tired.
If you have not inspected your fence for some time, then you should take a good look at it. It is possible that when you built it, you were too busy to stain it properly. Maybe, you painted it, but the paint is all chipped off now, and it is becoming moldy in places.
If you’re in a hurry and want to know my personal top pick? Then It’s the Sun Joe SPX3000 It’s a fantastic machine and will make this job incredibly easy.
These are all pretty good reasons to go right ahead and wash your fence. Here it is important to point out that it is possible to wash your wood fence by hand.
After all, you will only need a bit of high-powered soft cloth, cleaning fluid, brushes, some extra time on your hands, and copious amounts of ‘elbow grease.’
This last part can be a deal-breaker. This is why, nowadays, most people prefer the speed and the thrill of using high powered pressure washers.
Power Vs. Pressure Washers: Which One Would Serve Your Needs the Best
Most people who prefer DIY jobs around the house often use the terms “power washing” and “pressure washing” interchangeably. The reason is straightforward. Both of these cleaning methods are highly similar to each other.
The reason they are similar is that they are the same, whether you use an electric pressure washer or a gas power washer. the results are the same, both can produce and use hot and cold water, that’s just a feature which may exist in your powerwasher. So expect these terms to be used interchangeably.
Should I Pressure Wash My Fence Before Staining?
Before you stain your wooden fence, you need to make sure that it’s as clean as it possibly can be. You also want to remove the old layer of stain before you apply a new layer.
Otherwise, the new layer won’t fully penetrate and protect the wood.
And the most efficient and easy method to achieve this is by using a pressure washer, just be careful not to damage the wood. I’ll explain how to clean your fence below so that this shouldn’t be a problem for you.
How to Clean a Wood Fence with a Pressure Washer
If you are going to use a pressure washer to clean your fence, then you’ll want a pressure washer with at least 1800 PSI. Anything less and you won’t necessarily penetrate deep enough to remove the dirt particles attached to the wood.
The cool thing about this is it will make your fence look good as new, which you’ll see with each pass of the wand.
Firstly, you need to work out whether or not you need a pressure washer to clean your fence, or if a soapy sponge and water will do the trick. Simply put, if your fence has a few years worth of built-up grime, then bust out the pressure washer.
If however, your fence looks also clean… then a sponge will do.
If you decide to use a pressure washer, you need to use the correct tip/nozzle to get the best results and to not cause damage.
I personally use the 25-degree nozzle for most of the fence, though I do revert to a 15-degree nozzle for those tough built-up areas as this tip cuts much more aggressively than the 25-degree tip.
This video should give you some good pointers.
Ok, so now we get to the fun part, make sure you are wearing some old gloves and perhaps some waterproof boots because it’s going to get wet and messy.
I do suggest wearing protective gear, don’t forget safety glasses!
It doesn’t take much for a pressure washer to cause dirt to spray into your face, so protect those eyes!
You’re going to want to stand around 3 feet away from the fence and spray in a systematic way. I personally go top to bottom, doing my best to follow the grain of the wood.
As you pass over a section it will most likely change color as the dirt is removed, I love this bit!
Once you’ve finished, you may notice that the bottom edge of the fence has a bunch of dirt, this is normal this is where it all accumulates, just give the bottom a quick spray and you’ll be all done.
That was easy! Just sit back and wait for your fence to dry before attempting any painting/staining.
Now that we know how to clean a fence, let us find the best pressure washer for a wood fence.
- POWERFUL: 14. 5-Amp/1800-watt motor generates up to 2030 PSI/1. 76 GPM for maximum cleaning power and water inlet temperature (max) is 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
- VERSATILE: Tackle a variety of cleaning tasks: homes, buildings, RV’s, cars, trucks, boats, decks, driveways, patios, lawn equipment, and more. With two 0. 9 L onboard detergent tanks, removable tanks carry and store different types of detergent to simultaneously tackle different cleaning projects.
- TSS (Total Stop System): Automatically shuts off pump when trigger is not engaged to save energy and prolong pump life.
This model is equipped with a powerful 14. 5-amp (1800-Watt) motor. This powerhouse can easily generate up to 2030 PSI (footpoints of pressure) for maximum cleaning power. The maximum water inlet temperature is 104 degrees F. It has the following features:
Dual Detergent Tanks
The Sun Joe SPX 3000 has duel 0.9 liters tanks that can be removed and stored separately. It can carry different kinds of detergent. This makes it possible for you to easily switch from one cleaning project to another.
Safety Lock Switch
This model is equipped with its own Total Stop System (TSS). This system automatically shuts off the main pump whenever the trigger is not in use.
In the long run, this safety locking device will not only save energy, but it will also prolong the pump’s life.
Apart from its removable detergent tanks, this model is shipped with the following accessories:
- 34-inch extension wand
- A 20-foot very high-pressure hose
- 5 replaceable nozzle tips
- A needle clean-out tool
- 35-foot power cord
- Two solid wheels
- A ground fault circuit interrupter protection system
- A commercial garden hose adapter
Is it worth purchasing the SPX 3001 instead?
- Maintenance-free OEM Technologies axial cam pump
- Welded steel construction frame.Pump/Hose Connection:Threaded M22 connection
- 10'' Premium pneumatic wheels
This bad boy is a very heavy duty unit that can be used for the following tasks:
- Heavy cleaning of external decks
- Pressure washing stone walkways, painted steel, wood decking, plastic window trim, painted wood siding, painted steel siding, and concrete
It is very easy to set up and use. Moreover, it does not use its own internal tank and the handle can fold for better storage options. It is equipped with the following:
- The Honda GC190 premium residential engine
- Virtually maintenance-free OEM Technologies axial cam pump
- A very heavy-duty welded steel construction frame
- 10” pneumatic wheels as standard
- Five quick-connect nozzle tips that include 0°, 15°, 25°, 40° as well as soap
On top of all that, all of its pressure washers are one hundred percent functionally tested in the factory and are shipped only after passing a rigorous quality control regime.
- OUTDOOR CLEANING POWER: Make quick cleaning jobs of decks, patios, siding, driveways, outdoor furniture, cars, trucks, RVs, ATVs and more.
- ATTACHMENTS INCLUDED: Professional-style pressure washer gun, pressure washer wand, 30 foot high pressure hose, 28 oz. detergent tank and 4 different Quick Change pressure washer nozzles.
- 1900 PSI
This is an environmentally friendly machine that conserves energy by using less water and power than most commercially available garden hoses.
It can save up to 80% water and 40% power. Furthermore, it is considerably quieter than most other types of gas engine models that are currently available in the market.
The part is that it is very easy to assemble. You just pull it out of its box, attach the handle and insert the hose reel. After that, you will have to connect its high-pressure hose and the garden hose.
Finally, you will need to plug the unit to any triple prong outlet. Now you are all set to press the button and start cleaning.
The unit comes with the following attachments:
- An ergonomically-styled pressure washer gun
- Two completely different pressure washer wands both of which are equipped with a turbo pressure washer
- A twenty-foot high-pressure hose
- A 14 oz. detergent bottle
- Variable nozzles
- A hose with a diameter of 0.25 inch
- 1800 PSI, 1.3 GPM electric pressure washer with T300 surface cleaner included
- Only four-wheeled electric pressure washer on the market!
- Karcher’s T300 Surface Cleaner tackles large, surface cleaning tasks in no time. Comfortably clean decks, garage floors, driveways and patios with ease.
The curiously named Karcher K3 Follow-me has a lot going on for it. It churns out 1800 PSI with a maximum inlet temperature of around 104 degrees F. It has the following features:
This unit is equipped with a unique four-wheel base hence the “Follow Me” in its name. In fact, it has been designed in such a way that you would easily be able to maneuver over and around most common obstacles.
Onboard Detergent Tanks
The Karcher K3 has its own onboard detergent tank so that you can apply hot soapy water to your wood fence for the ideal cleaning effect.
Variable Power Spray wand
This wand allows you to easily adjust the spray right from the wand itself.
The Dirt Blaster Spray Wand
So-called because it can tackle the toughest cleaning jobs in less time.
Is it worth getting the K5?
If it were me, yeah I’d go straight for the K5, but The K3 will do the job just fine.
It’s a cracking bit of kit that will do this and many other tasks with ease.
Last update on 2020-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API